Service call fee and labor rate for a new contractor.

pkm1

Occupation
Journeyman to Contractor
I'm trying to establish a service call fee with a labor rate (residential) for my business but have only done commercial before. Any advice also on Marking up?
Thanks

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For troubleshooting work, $150 for the first hour, $100 per hour after.

Try to give a fixed price for repairs or other work, rather than hourly.

You'll make more, and the customer won't be compelled to watch you.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I still don’t know how some one can bid repair work with so many unseen events.
Now changing a light out sure. But finding a burnt receptacle, bad splice, ect how do you bid that.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I still don’t know how some one can bid repair work with so many unseen events.
Now changing a light out sure. But finding a burnt receptacle, bad splice, ect how do you bid that.
For troubleshooting work, $150 for the first hour, $100 per hour after.
The only price you can give for most troubleshooting is your hourly rate.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The only price you can give for most troubleshooting is your hourly rate.
"If you can tell me the exact problem, I can price the repair now. Otherwise, I have to do work to figure it out. If I can fix the problem when I find it, then I'm done and you only owe for the time it took.

"If more time and/or materials are required, I will explain what and why, as you're paying for it, and I will give you the additional price for completing the repairs, at which time you can decide yes or no."

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, troubleshooting is by the hour.

Someone asked me how long it would take me to fix such-and-such non-working thingamajig, and I told him about 3 minutes (figured a loose connection)

He said, "you can fix that in 3 minutes?"

I said I'm sure fixing the problem will be quick.
However, finding the problem..... ☝️

He said "ahhhh" 😀

I said "ahhhh" 😁

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Another important note for the OP especially seeing he's in FL is the clock is running portal to portal, just make sure the customers know it. Even 40 years ago in congested FL a fifteen mile trip could literally take 45 minutes to an hour and the traffic is a lot worse now. If your not charging for travel an eight hour day could very possibly show maybe three hours actual billing time.

OK Sparky 93

Occupation
Electrician
I'm trying to establish a service call fee with a labor rate (residential) for my business but have only done commercial before. Any advice also on Marking up?
Thanks
You need to read the book "How Much Should I Charge" by Ellen Rohr. She was thrust into keeping the books for her husbands plumbing business. They funneled a lot of money, but were broke. You may still be able to get it on kindle (Amazon). It will help you to know the things that you need to account for in a legitimate business.