Service Conductor

curious23

Occupation
Electrician
I am curious about the service conductor size for a Commercial Service that has 2, 200 amp meters, single phase 120/240 vac. The service conductors will supply both meters, the meters will be in a multi-socket (2-200amp) meter base. I am thinking a 3" conduit with 4/0 thhn cu conductors in parallel. Would the 4/0 conductors be overkill? Is there a NEC reference that would allow me to reduce the conductor size? To my knowledge, the 83% rule does not apply to Commercial Properties.

curious23

Occupation
Electrician
I am curious about the service conductor size for a Commercial Service that has 2, 200 amp meters, single phase 120/240 vac. The service conductors will supply both meters, the meters will be in a multi-socket (2-200amp) meter base. I am thinking a 3" conduit with 4/0 thhn cu conductors in parallel. Would the 4/0 conductors be overkill? Is there a NEC reference that would allow me to reduce the conductor size? To my knowledge, the 83% rule does not apply to Commercial Properties.
I do know that the Grounded Conductor ( Neutral) can be sized at 100% of the load.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
230.42 requires they be sized to carry the computed load.