Service conductors (or Service rated conductors?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Code:
 Your second option you mention of changing the service panel would be a much bigger job that using a branch circuit style ATS. Some smaller ones are pre wired. But even if not you don't actually reroute the branch circuits they stay in the meter/main and a jumper is run out for each to the ATS and back, no change for N/G bonding required either.

Just to confirm all of the nuetrals and grounds need to originate from the same panel as the hots, correct? Whats the NEC section for that?

I can combine grounds and bring over a #8 or #6, correct? How do I size that according to NEC?

Thanks again

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I guess 300.3(B) would answer that question

(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit.
All conductors of the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or cord, unless otherwise permitted in accordance with 300.3(B)(1) through (B)(4).

electro7

Occupation
Electrician, Solar and Electrical Contractor
Im still a bit confused (and trying to find an easier way I might add).

I am talking residential meter main combo panel that has a bussing with feeder and branch circuits attached.

So if an AHJ allows me to disrupt conductors between the load side of the main breaker and the distribution buss would I then take a neutral conductor from the bonded neutral/ground bar through the ats isolated neutral bar and back to a newly installed isolated neutral bar in the meter main combo panel?
Then land all of the feeder and branch nuetrals on that new isolated neutral bar?

Does anything in the code hinder me from disrupting say wires or bussing between the the load side of the main breaker and the distribution buss? If so, but the AHJ allows it, would there be any liability on me as an electrician and contractor?

On another note, back to rerouting all of the feeders and branch circuits to a back up loads center, it seems to me I could leave all of the grounds terminated in the meter main and bring over a #8 or two. If I am correct does anybody know how I would size that EGC?

Hopefully all of those questions make sense

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You are altering a piece of UL listed equipment. Permission from the AHJ might have a bearing on your liability but certainly would not absolve you from liability.
THe EGC would be sized by the overcurrent device protecting the phase conductors (250.122) (#6 for 200 amp)

electro7

Occupation
Electrician, Solar and Electrical Contractor
So are you saying that if I leave all the grounds landed in the meter main combo I could bring one #6 from that ground bar to the back up loads panel on a 200A MCB/service?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It seems to me that I was looking at the instructions for a service rated ATS once and it mentioned removing the N-G bond if the switch was not used at the service point.

Status
Not open for further replies.