Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
230.3 says this:

230.3 One Building or Other Structure Not to Be Supplied
Through Another. Service conductors supplying a
building or other structure shall not pass through the interior
of another building or other structure.

If you have a 400A service with two 200A disconnects outside, one disconnect is for the building it's mounted on, the other is for a separate building. Would 230.3 prevent running the conductors for the 2nd building through the 1st building?

Before anyone says or mentions it, the 2nd building will have a MB panel. The feed will enter it from the outside back-to-back to the panel.

publicgood

Are the disconnects fused? This comes down to what these conductors are.

effa18740bc58ca65c73ca4c03c40a0f.jpg

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
They're only service conductors right up to the OCPD. After that they're feeder conductors.

Like the guy above me mentioned, are those fused disconnects? I can't see how they wouldn't be unless your AHJ is VERY lenient on allowing service conductors inside a building.

jumper

They're only service conductors right up to the OCPD. After that they're feeder conductors.

Like the guy above me mentioned, are those fused disconnects? I can't see how they wouldn't be unless your AHJ is VERY lenient on allowing service conductors inside a building.

The disconnect does not have to be fused. The OCPD can be part of the disconnecting means or it can be separate and merely located near/adjacent to the disco.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
The disconnect does not have to be fused. The OCPD can be part of the disconnecting means or it can be separate and merely located near/adjacent to the disco.

I'm aware of that, but I don't know too many people that install regular nonfused service rated disconnects just to put the OCPD right beside it. I know it happens, but it's not very likely.

jumper

I'm aware of that, but I don't know too many people that install regular nonfused service rated disconnects just to put the OCPD right beside it. I know it happens, but it's not very likely.

I was just commenting on the “ I can’t see how.....”. You kinda imply that they gotta be one piece of equipment.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Bill, once you leave the disconnects you have feeders not service conductors so there is no issue with running the feeder thru the building

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Bill, once you leave the disconnects you have feeders not service conductors so there is no issue with running the feeder thru the building

That's the way I was figuring it. I just was thinking ahead of what the Inspector might have to say. Sometimes they need "schoolin" just like us!:)

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
230.3 says this:

If you have a 400A service with two 200A disconnects outside, one disconnect is for the building it's mounted on, the other is for a separate building. Would 230.3 prevent running the conductors for the 2nd building through the 1st building?

Before anyone says or mentions it, the 2nd building will have a MB panel. The feed will enter it from the outside back-to-back to the panel.
What it boils down to, I believe, is that you cannot run unprotected conductors through one building to service another.

david

230.3 says this:

Both 200 amp grouped service disconnects would be considered the service for the 1st building

Status
Not open for further replies.