Service disco group

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have strip mall with 8 different tenants. The attached sketch show 8 service disconnects each at back of the tenant space fed from 1600A utility termination cabinet fed from 1600A service conductors. However all 8 service disconnects are not grouped. Instead one set of service conductor from 1600A termination cabinet is brought to each tenant space and then to service disco.

Are the service discos required to be grouped?

Attachments

• F00A46A3-789B-4C32-8764-DC6F71B43B6E.jpeg
    F00A46A3-789B-4C32-8764-DC6F71B43B6E.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 13

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In this area with one outside, they would need to be grouped and require a mina (6 disconnect rule). Might not be the same interpretation in all areas per 230.80/230.72

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
In this area with one outside, they would need to be grouped and require a mina (6 disconnect rule). Might not be the same interpretation in all areas per 230.80/230.72

They are all outside at each individual tenant space outside wall. Would not 230.40 exception number 1 apply in post #1 attachment?

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Again, I think you may find different interpretations. IF the disconnects were in each tenant's occupancy, here that would be allowed but once one if them was outside, then they would all need to be outside and grouped.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Again, I think you may find different interpretations. IF the disconnects were in each tenant's occupancy, here that would be allowed but once one if them was outside, then they would all need to be outside and grouped.

Oh god all that is existing except for one tenant which is going to be new whose new service disconnect is outside just like others. If I place new tenant service disco inside then rest would be outside. I can make them have main breaker but all tenants grounding and bonding would be impacted. How did all existing pass inspection I don’t know.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer

My I have underground utility cables going into terminal box and from terminal box run outside wall conduit to each service disco at occupant outside wall.

But then again if you look at NEC 2014 handbook exhibit 230.4 see attached which fall under exception 230.40 #1 it does not go inside but on the outside wall of occupant. Also their is no main breaker service or individual service breakers not grouped even though they are outside????

2feb69e97daca039a1cf956ca8ab7b61.jpg

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
That was my first thought. I dont see any wording requiring the disconnects to be inside each occupancy.
I agree there is no wording requiring the disconencts to be inside. Here, if you have 8 occupancys you can group disconnects within the individual occupancy. If you have one outside then "outside" becomes a location and all have to be grouped outside. Again that's a local interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.