Service disconnect interconnection questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

codequestion

Banned
Attached is system grounding detail. Does anyone see any violation of code with the attached drawing?

Attachments

• Scan-to-Me from 10.2.2.22 2017-09-26 084630.pdf
    7.9 KB · Views: 0

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If you are referring to the GEC connected to the ground bar, then no violation.
250.24(A)(4) allows it.

(4) Main Bonding Jumper asWire or Busbar. Where the
main bonding jumper specified in 250.28 is a wire or busbar
and is installed from the grounded conductor terminal
bar or bus to the equipment grounding terminal bar or bus
in the service equipment, the grounding electrode conductor
shall be permitted to be connected to the equipment
grounding terminal, bar, or bus to which the main bonding
jumper is connected.

codequestion

Banned
Following I am not sure about in the diagram or violate the code:

1. There is main bonding jumper from netural to gnd bar then their is also path from netural bar to conduit and conduit to enclosure and enclosure to gnd bar thru bonding jumpers creating second main bonding jumper.

2. The enclosure is bonded from neutral bar to enclosure and also thru neutral bar to conduit and from conduit to enclosure thru bonding jumpers creating two paths.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Following I am not sure about in the diagram or violate the code:

1. There is main bonding jumper from netural to gnd bar then their is also path from netural bar to conduit and conduit to enclosure and enclosure to gnd bar thru bonding jumpers creating second main bonding jumper.

2. The enclosure is bonded from neutral bar to enclosure and also thru neutral bar to conduit and from conduit to enclosure thru bonding jumpers creating two paths.

All metal parts (enclosures, metal raceways, etc.) on the line side of the service disconnect are bonded together and connected to the neutral conductor. This will often create parallel paths for the neutral current, in this scenario it is permitted by the NEC.

Bob V

I see too many jumpers. I would bond conduits to the neutral bar and then install one Main Bonding Jumper from neutral to the ground bar. Size it per article 250.66

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I see too many jumpers. I would bond conduits to the neutral bar and then install one Main Bonding Jumper from neutral to the ground bar. Size it per article 250.66

Would too many make it a violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.