Service disconnect without a neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

evolution2147

Hi everyone I am a fairly new homeowner. I am an EE so I understand the principles but I am still getting used to the NEC so I am hoping someone can help me out. I am replacing a pool heater with a larger one. Currently there is one long run of 1/2 conduit that contains 4 12-awg wire in it. (2 branches no ground, no neutral). It runs uninterrupted from my main panel to the pool timer. There is also a grounding rod at the pool equipment that all the equipment is tied into. The current setup has 2 light switches for disconnects inside the timer box. One for the pump/salt and the other for the heater.

The new heater has a max current of 42 amps and the pump has a max of 5.5 amps. I want to remove all the wires in the EMT and replace with 2 6-awg wires with a 60 amp breaker at the main panel merging everything to one circuit. I don’t see why I wouldn’t be allowed to do this but if I did i would have to add a new service disconnect for the equipment. I am wondering if I can have 2 disconnects on that same branch. 60 amp disconnect for the heater and a 20 amp fused disconnect for the pump/salt. From what I am reading it looks like the code requires a ground and neutral to be run for disconnects? I just don’t see why that is needed. Thanks for the help

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum’s rules. This Forum is intended to assistprofessional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of theelectrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or anelectrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your ownelectrical installation, troubleshooting, or repair work.

I would encourage you to stick around. This Forum has much to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.