Service Discos In Different Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
Customer has 12kV service conductors from utility enter the building, then split at JB and go to two different locations within the building where they terminate on MV switches on primary side of transformers. These two MV switches are nowhere near each other, and I would have to call them the service disconnects. Was there ever a code cycle where this was legal?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Seemingly these would be feeders and the install would have been allowed under 225.30(B)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I couldn't say form sure from the OP. Just seemingly unusual for the utility to run 12kv into the building to two different spots. We need to know the service point to make the correct call.

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
I couldn't say form sure from the OP. Just seemingly unusual for the utility to run 12kv into the building to two different spots. We need to know the service point to make the correct call

How would the service point determine whether they could be considered feeders? The way I understand it is that if the point is out at the utility's riser pole, then those are service conductors from there and they shouldn't have been able to split the MV switches the way they did and 225 wouldn't apply. If the service point is inside at the MV switches, then yes, it's extremely odd, but those conductors upstream from the MV switches would all be utility owned and not feeders. (because of the extremely unusual aspect of the second case, I think we'd all bet that this is not the case)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
We have similar installs at some of our local large industrial facilities. In our situation, POCO conductors stop at a pole with disconnect and fuses.
We consider that the service point/disconnect and the kv lines from that point to be feeders,.

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
We have similar installs at some of our local large industrial facilities. In our situation, POCO conductors stop at a pole with disconnect and fuses.
We consider that the service point/disconnect and the kv lines from that point to be feeders,.
Ah, so the disco up on the pole is customer owned? Although that's note what I was told, that sounds like it could be the case here.

If the pole disco is utility owned, and the service point isn't until after that, or at least the load side, and you consider everything downstream from that to be feeders, you then have no service conductors or service disconnect? Is that a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.