Service Drop Connection

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I had the POCO here today to make the final connections to the service drop for my new service. The old bare neutral was a bit short so rather than extend it the lineman just bent it over and caught a few wraps. Does this look correct? (The old insulator was bent is being removed). The old drop connection was wrapped almost up to the drop point of attachment.

And I guess things must be tight over there at the utility company. Normally they put plastic insulators over the crimps. Not today, a few wraps of tape and you're to go.

Service Drop.jpg Service Drop1.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Actually it looks like he used a wrap support. it is twisted steel and simply wraps around the messenger (neutral)
That's correct but he barely has two wraps on the neutral. The old drop had about 3 or 4 wraps so I was wondering if two wraps is enough? The drop is about 75' to the pole.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Tape is all I've ever seen on H-taps. It does look like they didn't waste any time at it.
The old H-taps that they cut off had the plastic covers on them. I met the crew of 4 utility workers when they showed up. The one guy who did all of the work was very young and looked pretty green the other three older guys stood there and watched while he did the work. Two crew's to make the permanent connections, guessing things are kind of slow at the POCO.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I had the POCO here today to make the final connections to the service drop for my new service. The old bare neutral was a bit short so rather than extend it the lineman just bent it over and caught a few wraps. Does this look correct? (The old insulator was bent is being removed). The old drop connection was wrapped almost up to the drop point of attachment.

And I guess things must be tight over there at the utility company. Normally they put plastic insulators over the crimps. Not today, a few wraps of tape and you're to go.

View attachment 2572926 View attachment 2572927
It will hold enough to pull that house know out unless it managed to be installed in a stud.

Tape vs those plastic covers-really no difference safety wise. Both are a cheap way to do the same job. Tape is cheaper.
And when they have two crews making up a service they need to save anywhere they can..😀

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That's what we call those in porcelain insulators that screw in with a lag screw. That's what holds your drop. Not legal here because they easily pull out. We are supposed to use a 5/8" eye bolt, washers and nut (pole line hardware) through the framing.

-Hal
A lot of assuming. ;)

I cut open the wall behind it so it's actually through bolted with wood blocking behind it. There is no lag screw involved. The old one next to it was bent but was installed the same way.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
That's what we call those in porcelain insulators that screw in with a lag screw. That's what holds your drop. Not legal here because they easily pull out. We are supposed to use a 5/8" eye bolt, washers and nut (pole line hardware) through the framing.

-Hal
We use a snuggle plate, galv plate that lags to house and has porcelain knob with clevis