Service entrance cable: Would (3) #3/0 THHN Copper fit in 1.5 inch rigid conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fandi

Hello All,
I think the wires would fit in the mentioned conduit Per Annex C Table C.8 but my electrician said no. Is he right? It's a 10ft run from the 200A 2 gang meter to the weather head. I know #2/0 would be fine per the 83% factor for residential single family or duplex but the wires have been bought.
Thanks.

fandi

Hello All,
I think the wires would fit in the mentioned conduit Per Annex C Table C.8 but my electrician said no. Is he right? It's a 10ft run from the 200A 2 gang meter to the weather head. I know #2/0 would be fine per the 83% factor for residential single family or duplex but the wires have been bought.
Thanks.

I mean he said the conduit needs to be bigger.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Did you ask him why since Annex C says it will fit?

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
According to that table either #2/0 or #3/0 will fit with three conductors so what's the problem?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
My guess would be a POCO requirement. I know the the POCOs here don't allow anything less than 2-1/2" rigid (if using rigid) for a 200A service.

fandi

My guess would be a POCO requirement. I know the the POCOs here don't allow anything less than 2-1/2" rigid (if using rigid) for a 200A service.

He said that's what he meant. I think it's confusing from my local POCO (Southern California Edison) since they would required bigger conduit than the one indicated in Annex C but their wires are still #2 (the same wires used for 100A service but now the service is upgraded to (2) 100A for two houses and the service planner said #2 on his side is still fine).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hello All,
Thanks.

Why are you micro managing the electrician. Does this conduit go above the roof? If it does then it is a mast and you need 2" around here according to the power company.

fandi

Why are you micro managing the electrician. Does this conduit go above the roof? If it does then it is a mast and you need 2" around here according to the power company.

Since the local SCE service planner only showed up once at the site and never replies to emails/phone calls, I find out the requirements from the latest SCE ESR (Electrical Service Requirements):
https://www1.sce.com/nrc/aboutsce/regulatory/distributionmanuals/esr.pdf
Section 8.2 page #27 reads: 200 A Service
Where the nameplate horsepower rating of any motor does not exceed 60 hp, 240 V or
125 hp, 277/480 V, a factory-bussed, safety-socket box with a 200 A rating shall be
installed.
The meter socket for 240 V service will be 5- or 7-clip, depending on the grounding of the
serving transformer bank. The meter socket for 277/480 V service will be 7 clip. Consult
your local Service Planning Office before purchasing or installing service equipment.
The maximum wire size or current-carrying capacity of the conductors installed in the
customer’s service raceway shall not exceed that of No. 3/0 wire and the conduit size of
any such raceway shall not exceed two inches
. The capacity of the customer’s service
switch is not limited under these conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.