Service entrance conductor sizing for four gang meter base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a four gang single phase seimens meter base with one single phase 200 amp main breaker for each meter base. The can beside the meter (for power company connections) base is three phase and feeds the meter base. the can "plugs into the meter base into three busbars. Phase A in the can connects to phase A of meter 1 and meter 2, Phase B in the can connects to phase A of meter 3 and meter 4, Phase C in the can connects to phase B of meter 1, meter 2, meter 3 and meter 4. My questions are being phase A coming in from power company connects phase A of two meter would that wire size be rated at 400 amps? Phase B being the same thing, connecting to phase A of the other two meters would the wire size be rated at 400 amps? With phase C, being it is connected to phase B of all four meters would that wire be rated at 800 amps?
If what i've stated above would be correct i don't see the advantage of the power company connection can being three phase. It would still be the same amount and size wire as it would be if it was a single phase connection. or by using three phase am i able to derate the wire to a smaller size? I hope i've been clear enought to understand.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
First thing I suggest would be to take another real good look at it and talk with my supplier or factory rep to make 100% thats the way it's connected and designed. Someone may have made a mistake as that arrangement is highly unusual.
Secondly, if what you state remains the connection, i would check with POCO and see if they have any reason to feed it 3 phase and explain to them what you have to avoid problems at connection time.
Finally, whichever way it is wired, in this situation, your service conductors would be sized to the calculated load per phase and no the sum of the breakers unless you have unusual local amendment.

Status
Not open for further replies.