Service Entrance Crimper and Crimp type

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt123

Hey guys, so Im in the market for a crimper (Ex. milwaukee or greenlee 18 volt) Does anyone use or have any input on using these over the polaris type set screw connectors for service entrance wires? I feel the initial purchase is a hit but the time saved and connection would be worth it.. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Todd0x1

I'd say it depends on how many you are doing, and how much you're willing to invest to not have to mess with the polaris connectors. The insulated service crimp barrels are substantially cheaper than polaris connectors ($1.25 vs $15ish)

I'd vote for do it if its not too much of a stretch to buy the tool+dies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Have you checked the prices lately ?

This is just one website but I'm sure they're all up there. You can try EBay for a used one. Good luck.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Around here the POCO cuts off the connectors that the electrician uses at the drop so we use the cheapest connectors possible. Unless you have a need for the crimper in other work it may not be worth the investment.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
We get them cheaper than most and use them daily.
Still, for ~2K that’s a lot of service entrances to make up to save on Polaris connectors, split bolts, or any other connectors.
As infinity said, we cut them off and put H taps on the service entrances.

Heck, we run across some made up with romex connectors, water clamps, etc…

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We get them cheaper than most and use them daily.
Still, for ~2K that’s a lot of service entrances to make up to save on Polaris connectors, split bolts, or any other connectors.
As infinity said, we cut them off and put H taps on the service entrances.

Heck, we run across some made up with romex connectors, water clamps, etc…
Back in the day when we installed 100 amp services we would occasionally use blue wire nuts.

Hey guys, so Im in the market for a crimper (Ex. milwaukee or greenlee 18 volt) Does anyone use or have any input on using these over the polaris type set screw connectors for service entrance wires? I feel the initial purchase is a hit but the time saved and connection would be worth it.. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I'd you want to go a more affordable route, you can get one of manual ones discussed here:

You would be able to do the common die series lugs mentioned in post #8, and also the Blackburn WR series H taps which are great for connecting service drops, and are cheap at about $3.50 a piece.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
FWIW, I use this type :

with this type of insulated crimp :

FYI, It's pure isometric exercise crimping 4/0 aluminum. Not sure how much longer I'll be able to do that. The battery powered tool looks great but not for $8K IMHO.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Back in the day when we installed 100 amp services we would occasionally use blue wire nuts.
I was just at a home with a 200A service that was replaced about 8 years ago. I was surprised to see the drop connected with blue wire nuts. That was a first for me. I told him to reach out to Seattle City Light and have them do a "Make-Perm".

Rob G

matt123

Has anyone used this Klein crimping tool?

Seems like a cheap alternative and does many different sizes. I primarily use crimping on extending the grounds for the most part anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.