service entrance question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

Existing house about 15 years old, Existing meter base outside 3 wire entrance cable going up to breaker panel on second floor. Electrical contractor wants to add circuits for outdoor lighting, but running wire to panel is impossible, he wants to change to a meter disconect combo with breakers outside for lights & main service diconect, imo he would need to change to a 4 wire service cable (seperate net & groung) to breaker panel, but he says he dont want to cut sheet rock to rerun cable. What is your opinion?

raider1

Staff member
I agree with you.

If the service disconnecting means is relocated to the exterior of the home the existing panel will now become a standard panelboard supplied by a feeder and must contain an equipment grounding conductor.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have been called a lot of things in my life, but "Bouncing headed fellow" is a new one.:D

Chris

Being that you are an inspector I can only imagine some of the things you have been called. :grin: Actually I would find it hard to believe that anyone would say anything that wasn't positive about you--exception being the wife, of course. :grin:

raider1

Staff member
Being that you are an inspector I can only imagine some of the things you have been called. :grin: Actually I would find it hard to believe that anyone would say anything that wasn't positive about you--exception being the wife, of course. :grin:

I can't repeat what some people have called me.:D

Some people can't admit when they are wrong and take it out on the inspector.:)

As far as my wife, she can call me anything she likes, as long as she doesn't call me late for dinner.:D

Chris

slick 50

Shouldn't the wire going all the way up to the second flloor be a 4 wire anyway unless of course it is ran on outside of building and then penetrating through the stucture to the panel. My inspector uses the no more than six feet of SEC inside the building before having the service disconnect.

raider1

Staff member
Shouldn't the wire going all the way up to the second flloor be a 4 wire anyway unless of course it is ran on outside of building and then penetrating through the stucture to the panel. My inspector uses the no more than six feet of SEC inside the building before having the service disconnect.

Yes, the feeder to the second floor panel needs to be a 4 wire feeder containing a equipment grounding conductor. That was my point in post #2.

Chris

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with "bouncy head" and others, that said, I have know of occasions where the AHJ has allowed the 3 wire cable to remain.
The conditions to replace it consisted of a lot more than just cutting some sheet rock, however.
It does not change the Code, but one can ask which is safer, the existing cable with no over-current or the existing cable with overcurrent protection.
I can't recall if the Code ever allowed it, but it is not uncommon here to find 50' + of unprotected SE in the older homes with no OCP outside.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can't recall if the Code ever allowed it, but it is not uncommon here to find 50' + of unprotected SE in the older homes with no OCP outside.
Better yet, the service cable enters one end of the house, runs through the attic, comes out the other side, hits the meter, goes back inside, and then hits the panel. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.