service entrance wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledsurf

i have a residential back to back service 200a. i would like to install a service rated 200a main breaker ats in the garage for a generator. my question is can i remove the wires from the meter and install longer service wires so i can reattach from meter and run service wire through existing conduit and through my main breaker electrical panel not terminating in the panel but run service wires through panel and into the service rated 200a main breaker ats switch and then run a new conduit from ats back to electrical panel? or does article 230.70 apply first means of disconnect.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
i have a residential back to back service 200a. i would like to install a service rated 200a main breaker ats in the garage for a generator. my question is can i remove the wires from the meter and install longer service wires so i can reattach from meter and run service wire through existing conduit and through my main breaker electrical panel not terminating in the panel but run service wires through panel and into the service rated 200a main breaker ats switch and then run a new conduit from ats back to electrical panel? or does article 230.70 apply first means of disconnect.

Once you get to first disconnect with OCPD they will no longer be service wires, although you may in some circumstances end up using SE cable.
Until you get to the service disconnect you cannot mix them in the same raceway with non-service conductors.

If you go to the ATS first, by any routing, and the ATS is marked Suitable For Use as Service Equipment (SUSE) the service wires would stop there.

Is this a DIY project or are you doing this in your professional capacity as an electrician?

PS: 230.70(A)(1) would seem to prohibit you from going inside the house walls on the way to the panel in the garage. If all of the conduit is outside the walls of both house and garage up to the point nearest the ATS, you may be OK on that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.