Service for battery charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhenixFord

Occupation
Industrial Systems and Controls
Hey Guys.

First post - Here is a little background info on a question that I would like to present to the community.

I've been asked to install a battery charger for an electric floor sweep machine inside an industrial warehouse. The industrial engineer wants to save money on the installation by utilizing an existing 60A welding distribution system consisting of (2) separate disconnects with outlets nippled directly to the disco's enclosure. The engineer is willing to abandon (1) of the outlets in favor of connecting the new piece of equipment. The service is 3 Phase, 480V protected by a 60A distribution breaker. The new piece of equipment is 3 Phase, 480v @ 5.5A FLC. I've considered two different options to try and make this installation right.

1) Jumping through hoops in an attempt to make things right - I would remove the outlet and nipple in an 8X8X4 J-Box. Install a 60A rated 3P fuse holder w/#6 THHN inside the J-Box. Install fuse holder reducers to allow the installation of fuses below the 30A rating. - This would get me down to traditional wiring methods?

2) This one is "stretching" things a little - Not remove the 60A outlet and just simply "whip" the charger with a #6 SJO and male plug. Would this cover me with the "Cord and Plug Rules" ???

Thanks for reading and submitting any replies.
Randy

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
1) is code compliant
2), you are putting a battery charger rated 5.5 A on a 60 C OCPD. check the battery charger instructions to see if it specifies a maximum circuit rating
For the existing outlet, can you change out the OCPD to a 15 or 20A device?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't think I've ever questioned Tom (above) but from your desceiption I wonder if there is a violation of 240.40.

PhenixFord

Occupation
Industrial Systems and Controls
can you change out the OCPD to a 15 or 20A device?

There is another welding outlet supplied by the same OCPD.

I've been working in the Industrial Industry for the past 15 years. So I haven't really stayed fluent with the codes other than taking the required tests for renewal. I'm getting close enough to retirement that I really don't expect to go back to the commercial industry and having my work inspected. Having said that, I recall from my residential days, sections pertaining to "Cord and Plug" devices that make provisions for low current devices connected to higher ampacity circuits. This may be a stretch for an industrial installation of this nature. But, I was thinking that this may give me a down-n-dirty option?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.