service location

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve

Just got off the 'phone with PG&E planner. There is an existing overhead drop to a customer owned pole which has meter and disc. A new house is being built. I proposed putting the service on the house, which is about 40' from pole, and run service conductors underground to the pole and then up to their conductors. Planner says I can't do that but didn't explain. I'm going to comply which means keeping the service on the pole, but does anyone have any idea why that wouldn't work? I found nothing prohibiting that in the code ('99)

iwire

Staff member
Re: service location

It has nohing to do with the NEC, the NEC would allow this.

However it is PG&E's service and they can make the rules.

physis

The PG&E has something called a "Green Book". I think it describes their service rules. I tried to get one but when I asked they had just stopped printing them (a few years ago) and you can only find it on the internet now. I have never actually verified any of this but was told by PG&E so it has to be true. :)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

You said the pole was a customer owned pole? And you planned to run power for another customer up that pole? I think the problem may have to do with easements and rights of way. If customer "A" decides to shut off their service and bulldoze the pole, they are allowed to do that. But then customer "B" is left without power.

Steve

physis

This is pure conjecture on my part but I'm assuming rural area some quantity of acrage and all same property and customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.