Service pipe across the top of walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

riggz

I need to run a 4" IMC to a sub panel in a commercial building. The roof deck is about 40' high, but the drop tile ceiling is only 10'. My question is, would it pass code if I were to run the conduit across the tops of the interior walls vs. having to take it all the way to the roof to strap off to the trusses.
Thanks!

raider1

Staff member
As long as the conduit is secured and supported according to 342.30(A) & (B) I think that you would be fine.

JMHO, Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree, but I have to say I was initially confused since your post said "service pipe". This would be feeder pipe not a service pipe.

Bill W

A perhaps interesting footnote regarding feeders vs. other types of ckts. I recently took over a job that had pvc w/ 4/0 conductors slabbed and terminating onto a shunt-trip breaker for x-ray equipment. The inspector pointed to 517.13(A) and said all the work had to be redone. This would have required opening a wall and going overhead to the MDP. Now the 4/0 conductors would all be 20ft. short. I humbly asked him to consider that this was a feeder ckt. not a branch ckt., and he smiled and said, "you read your book." He let it fly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.