Service rated equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

What defines when a disconnect or panel is service rated? Amperage, UL Listing, Number of breaker slots? I can find numerous references in the code book about "suitable as service equipment", but nothing that actually defines it. I have tried to pin it down, but I am at a loss. TIA.

jwjrw

Im not sure of the qualifications I just know they have to marked as suitable for service equipment.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What defines when a disconnect or panel is service rated? Amperage, UL Listing, Number of breaker slots? I can find numerous references in the code book about "suitable as service equipment", but nothing that actually defines it. I have tried to pin it down, but I am at a loss. TIA.

There is no definition for it in the NEC but I am sure the manufacturers have a standard that they go by. I bet most if not all main breaker panels are suitable for service equip. Why, I believe because of the main. Now a smaller main lug panel may not be if there is no way to attach a main breaker to the panel- locking it down.

I cannot think of any other reason . What could be so different between the two. I wonder if the white book would have that info.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
UL lists the requirements in their White Book.

Basically, and among a few other things:
Suitable for use as service entrance - means there is a removable, or installable, jumper between the neutral bar and the ground bar/enclosure.

Suitable only for use as service entrance - means the neutral to ground bond is factory installed and not removable.

jwjrw

There is no definition for it in the NEC but I am sure the manufacturers have a standard that they go by. I bet most if not all main breaker panels are suitable for service equip. Why, I believe because of the main. Now a smaller main lug panel may not be if there is no way to attach a main breaker to the panel- locking it down.

I cannot think of any other reason . What could be so different between the two. I wonder if the white book would have that info.

I wonder if they just mark one suitable for service equipment but its really the same? Could it be similar to the aic rating for breakers?

jumper

UL lists the requirements in their White Book.

Basically, and among a few other things:
Suitable for use as service entrance - means there is a removable, or installable, jumper between the neutral bar and the ground bar/enclosure.

Suitable only for use as service entrance - means the neutral to ground bond is factory installed and not removable.

Okay, that makes sense. I will look up your references. Thanx.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is a little something I found from the UL book

SUITABLE FOR USE AS SERVICE EQUIPMENT
18. These are the basic requirements that a panelboard rated 600 volts or less must meet in order to be used as service equipment:
A. Service disconnecting means must be provided.
B. Each service disconnect provided must have a switching feature that disconnects all conductors from the service-entrance conductors and that is suitable for use as a service disconnect. There is one exception: the neutral service conductor can be disconnected by removing the wires from the pressure wire connectors on the service neutral bus as noted in Section 230.75 of the NEC?.
In general, snap, toggle or similar switches, are not acceptable because their internal electrical spacings are too small. The exception in Section 225.36 of the NEC? for branch circuit switches used to disconnect garages and out buildings on residential property does not apply to the service disconnects in a panelboard.
Circuit breakers, either molded case, fused, or in combination with ground fault circuit interrupters, are suitable for use as service disconnects. Other devices that are used to protect individual circuits, circuits within equipment or appliances, or circuit protectors without on and off features, are not suitable for use as service disconnects.
The removal of a plug or cartridge fuse from its fuseholder, while serving to
de-energize the circuit, does not provide service disconnection. Panelboard switches,
pullout switches and some industrial control switches are suitable as service disconnects. Note that pullout switches, while they serve as a fuse puller, do have switchblades and contact jaws and are tested as switches.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is the rest

C. Overcurrent protection suitable as branch or feeder protection must be provided for service conductors. Miscellaneous, miniature and micro fuses, thermal cutouts, relays and other supplementary overcurrent protection are not acceptable.
D. The number of service disconnects and overcurrent devices must conform to the NEC?,Section 230.71.
E. As required in Section 230.95 of the NEC?, Panelboards rated for use on solidly grounded wye electrical services of more than 150 volts to ground must provide ground fault protection for each service disconnect rated 1000 amperes, or more. An exception is covered under Item 53.
F. There must be provision for connecting a grounded service conductor and a grounding-electrode conductor. If there is a neutral bus, a means to bond the panelboard enclosure or mounting pan to the neutral bus is required unless the bus is mounted in electrical contact with the enclosure or pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.