Service Riser

Status
Not open for further replies.

packersbay

Occupation
Electrician
So I was installing new upgrade on residential home, I ran into an issue my luck, I installed new load center and meter socket they are side by side. Then I drilled 2in hole above meter can for riser and there is a stud right in the way. Any suggestions on easy fix. I was thinking of installing longer nipple between meter and load center to clear stud but I already installed wire from load center to meter or come out from the side of meter can with LR and up for riser.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Would an offset nipple move your riser enough to either side?

If not, how about a pair of 22.5-degree elbows?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Some of the guys here who don't have a friendly electrical shop with a bender available have used a muffler shop,
'You don't need much bend.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Offset nipple might be good idea just not sure if it will be enough
A 2" conduit perfectly centered on a 2x needs to move over about 2".

An offset nipple will not work. You'll need to bend or build an offset.

The other option is your own idea of an LB or LR into the meter can.

So I was installing new upgrade on residential home, I ran into an issue my luck, I installed new load center and meter socket they are side by side. Then I drilled 2in hole above meter can for riser and there is a stud right in the way. Any suggestions on easy fix. I was thinking of installing longer nipple between meter and load center to clear stud but I already installed wire from load center to meter or come out from the side of meter can with LR and up for riser.
I literally spend about an hour laying out a mast service: finding studs/joists/rafters, clearances, offsets, triple checking things.....only after that does the drill come out.

Your details are vague, but depending on what exactly this "stud" is, I might drill right through it (but see first paragraph to avoid this problem in the first place).

sunny1

Occupation
electrician
Would it be the end of the world to just buy another short cut of wire and scoot it over a couple inches? I guess it depends on the customer but i would worry even a real nice one might stand back and look at their shiny new service and wonder why theirs has a little bend in it while most of the neighbors just go straight out the top.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I installed new load center and meter socket they are side by side. Then I drilled 2in hole above meter can for riser and there is a stud right in the way.

Not following you either. Are the panel and meter INSIDE the building and you want to bring the riser in through the wall with a couple of LBs into the top of the meter?

-Hal

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If this is a 2X4 stud just for the framing of the soffit? Something like this 2X4? If so I would go right through it. 🤫

A roof rafter would be a different story.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with rob but another option, which I don't like is an lb out the side of the meter and then go up.

I think the best option is to do what infinity mentioned otherwise redo the wires and use a longer nipple

Status
Not open for further replies.