Service Riser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poweranytime

FL EC
Occupation
Master EC
Never had this happen before hundreds of service upgrades a year and you build off of where "mast" extends through the existing roof penetration. Install meter enclosure then get your loads or main disco hooked up. Unless your moving the service then some planning is involved as electrofelon said. Never bent a "mast" for resi

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks guys I installed a longer nipple and got the job done. Wires had enough slack to reach over still.👍🏼
I didn't see this thread until now, so it's belated advice...

Go take the shingles off the roof, cut a square hole through the roof sheathing - large enough that a pipe flashing will barely cover it - to expose the offending framing, and cut it out with a sawzall

Then when you put your flashing on and patch the shingles back in, nobody knows you were ever in there. Probably adds about 20-30 minutes to what you were already expecting to do

Poweranytime

FL EC
Occupation
Master EC
The only hole I drill through a roof is for a "mast" and we put a boot on it and tuck it under the upper shingles above the penetration however the customer is made aware that a roofer needs to seal this. Boot is just temporary. Some do some don't. In Florida this is for licensed roofers. If it's a wood soffit you can see seems and nails or screws. If it's vinyl or metal just pull a section out and look. Once you start cutting decking or driving roof nailer ur a roofer

James L

Occupation
Electrician
The only hole I drill through a roof is for a "mast" and we put a boot on it and tuck it under the upper shingles above the penetration however the customer is made aware that a roofer needs to seal this. Boot is just temporary. Some do some don't. In Florida this is for licensed roofers. If it's a wood soffit you can see seems and nails or screws. If it's vinyl or metal just pull a section out and look. Once you start cutting decking or driving roof nailer ur a roofer
And when the economy slows down, most of the guys refusing to be a roofer for a half hour are the ones whining about not being able to find enough work.

There's no shame in broadening your skillset.
Being able to properly install a roof flashing only makes you a better electrician.

Poweranytime

FL EC
Occupation
Master EC
And when the economy slows down, most of the guys refusing to be a roofer for a half hour are the ones whining about not being able to find enough work.

There's no shame in broadening your skillset.
Being able to properly install a roof flashing only makes you a better electrician.
I didn't say I can't. Just said I won't. I own a service business even when the big 0 was in office I was doing fine. I don't mess with roofs. I don't disconnect or reconnect water lines or drain lines dishwashers in kitchen. In the service business you limit risk of flooding out a house. Seen so many kitchens ruined cause the last electrician or handyman played plumber

Status
Not open for further replies.