Service Size for Restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I will provide follow up information (such as square footage) when I can get it. But I have been asked an order-of-magnitude question about the service size for a restaurant space within a multi-use building (i.e., various retail outlets, some food service outlets, and possibly office spaces as well). The discussion centers around 400 amps versus 800 amps, and I strongly suspect they are dealing with 120/208 volt three phase. I believe they are expecting the water heating to use gas as the energy source.

Any initial thoughts?

TIA

kwired

Electron manager
Cooking appliances, refrigeration, and HVAC will be majority of load.

I've seen as little as 100 amp single phase though at least 200 is much more common, up to 1200 amp single or three phase.

Mostly depends on what they have for appliances.

mgookin

If they have gas they'll likely cook and heat with gas also.

That leaves cooling, refrigeration, lighting, machinery (Hobart), etc.

With 3p you might be fine with 400A.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Update: I am now told that the service is 480/277/3. It is sounding more and more like 400 amps would be more than enough. Many thanks to all.

iwire

Staff member
Update: I am now told that the service is 480/277/3. It is sounding more and more like 400 amps would be more than enough. Many thanks to all.

This is entirely dependent on gas or electric cooking.

My experience is that even with gas in the building someone will purchase electric equipment either new or used.

Cover your design with a lot of disclaimers.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
This is entirely dependent on gas or electric cooking.

My experience is that even with gas in the building someone will purchase electric equipment either new or used.

Cover your design with a lot of disclaimers.

Amen, on a lot of restaurants. Unless it's a "chain" or they are buying all new, get ready for some surprises. The voltage and phase of used equipment means nothing when they owner finds a "buy" even when you advise them up front . "Whats the problem, it just plugs in doesn't it" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.