Service upgrade

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Aaah gotcha

So is that a separate piece available from the panel manufacturer? Or are all the panels just sold that way in Canada?

Rob G, Seattle
All the service entrance panels are that way.
Notice how your loads cannot exist from the top end of the panel.

Aaro

Occupation
Electrician
When I have an inspector reject something that I know is to code, I politely tell him that I was not aware of any such code and ask him to site the code. I have had an inspectors try to find the code and eventually they came back and approved my work.

I am not in CA, but your picture looks like what I have been doing for 25 years. Ask him to show you the code. Someone will get educated.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'm just wondering where you'll be landing what looks like a 200 amp load side feeder?

Also, did that panel come with the 2 large neutral lugs, or, were they added?

Jap>

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
He's probably used to seeing something like this,,,,

View attachment 2568594

Jap>
that divider is just to close off the feeder prior to the meter from the rest. the same unprotected conductors from customer side of meter to the main is still just as exposed as the OP picture. Not sure the issue with the as pictured installation, its done all the time. Short of requiring Canadian style panel you are not getting separation more than pictured.
Now if he was going from the fused side back into the meter side to pass through that would be a different story.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
that divider is just to close off the feeder prior to the meter from the rest. the same unprotected conductors from customer side of meter to the main is still just as exposed as the OP picture. Not sure the issue with the as pictured installation, its done all the time. Short of requiring Canadian style panel you are not getting separation more than pictured.
Now if he was going from the fused side back into the meter side to pass through that would be a different story.

That's true.

Just saying, he may not know the "need" or the "not need" for a divider to begin with.

Jap>