Service Upgrades New Jersey OCT 6th....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

Are we required to install afci on existing circuits with a service upgrade or does this fall under rehab code? In Jersey

satcom

Are we required to install afci on existing circuits with a service upgrade or does this fall under rehab code? In Jersey

Just wondering, how they missed covering that on your last CE class. The main idea of running the CE classes was to keep everyone current on all changes.

Jerseydaze

Just wondering, how they missed covering that on your last CE class. The main idea of running the CE classes was to keep everyone current on all changes.

I'm not going to bash my CE classes but I will say they went over the code changes as per 2008 nec and did not get into what was adopted and what was not I took the courses early and I do not think the adoption process was finalized .I did learn to wait till the last minute to get the most up to date information.

Oh Its a general question lets assume the branches are AC and RX

Oakey

I just did a service and I asked the inspector the same question...his reply was no, only if I'm adding circuits is it needed.

I'd suggest ask the inspector in the town your working in.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you are doing a service upgrade you are not required to install AFCI breakers. However, if you are wiring say a bedroom addition where NEW circuits are installed you will be required to install AFCI's. If you have a situation where there is an existing breaker panel in the residence that does not accept AFCI's you will have to install a sub-panel that does accept them.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you are doing a service upgrade you are not required to install AFCI breakers. However, if you are wiring say a bedroom addition where NEW circuits are installed you will be required to install AFCI's. If you have a situation where there is an existing breaker panel in the residence that does not accept AFCI's you will have to install a sub-panel that does accept them.

I agree and this was the information that I had heard. When in doubt a simple phone to Suzanne can provide the answer.

(609) 984-7609.
Suzanne Borek
Code Assistance Unit

Ken9876

With the rehab code there's alot that doesn't have to be done. I've spoken to a few inspectors about things on panel changes and the rehab code has always come up.

Cavie

Once again. You have to think this thru. If you have MWBC's you cannot install AFC's. They can't make you rewire the house to do a service upgrade.

satcom

Once again. You have to think this thru. If you have MWBC's you cannot install AFC's. They can't make you rewire the house to do a service upgrade.

If your putting on an addition, I am sure you are not going to use multi wire circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.