service work and pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

John120/240

Time Off

Time Off

The smart considerate employee would schedule his time off on days that he knew were likely

to be slow. I have taken off for a dentist appointment at 2:00 pm. I did work thru lunch for

my benifit & the bosses, so he lost less productivty.

For those employees that have court dates, keep your nose clean to begin with.

G._S._Ohm

The Union let them get away with it for 7 years? You sure were not getting your moneys worth with those dues paid. I thought they were supposed to watch out for you?
I was there for only 3 of the 7 but, yeah, I suppose I should have raised hell. The union at that place could barely hold the line and with 20% turnover per year I guess it was an abusive environment.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
So whats (that's what's) your point (Separate your sentences) this is totally normal and legal. As far as what they are billing it really isn't your business unless its (that's it's) part of your job to know.

It isn't cheating you out of anything. I think maybe your (that's you're) angry because its (again, that's it's) confusing.

It has been long enough now that I am not still angry over it. I never lost sleep over it but never forgot that it is a lowdown way to do business. Your defending it makes me wonder if you do it in some form.

It is not a logical way to keep time to begin with. For the co. to go to the extra trouble, they had to get a lot of benefit from it. They were also a co. that had been convicted of bid rigging, so their honesty was not rock solid to begin with.

If a person works Mon-Fri or Mon-Sun he should get paid the same way. One crew had the situation where they worked nearly 'round the clock Mon-Sat to get a job done. They were all exhausted and some had to sleep in a day or 2 afterward. Then they found that their time stopped at midnight Thurs & their Fri and Sat time counted following week. With the rest time they took, their Fri/Sat time counted for a lot less. You cannot tell me that is not dishonest. If you do, I count you among the crooks.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
The smart considerate employee would schedule his time off on days that he knew were likely

to be slow. I have taken off for a dentist appointment at 2:00 pm. I did work thru lunch for

my benifit & the bosses, so he lost less productivty.

For those employees that have court dates, keep your nose clean to begin with.

Court dates, now that is another whole book. I worked jobs with 40-50 guys where 20 or more had lost their driver's licenses. Sometimes 1 guy gave rides to 2 or 3 others. Foreman would nearly cry if the driver called in sick, as the others would be out too. Bad enough when a guy is 19 or 20. A real shame to be in 30's or 40's & can't stay sober enough to keep a driver's license. I gave rides to 1 guy that sometimes stayed up drinking all night, never got a shower or changed clothes. I'd pick him up next morning; drunk, reeked of alcohol & reeked of dirty body odor. 1st time or 2, I alerted foreman & he gave him "safe" duties. Then I told him I could no longer take him to work if he was not sober. Too much could go wrong.....

A guy called me about a job. We talked a lot & he seemed OK. I forgot to even ask him about any record. Told him I'd call if work came up. Something came up over weekend. I called him to see about him coming in Mon to help with something. Said "I've got court Mon, I can come Tues". I said "let me call you, not sure yet about Tues". I checked him out online & found a long list of DWI and issues with underage girls. I did not call him back, needless to say. He should have been past those kinds of things by his age.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Wrong. The whole structure starts one off a day behind. Most of the nation runs on a Mon-Fri or Mon-Sun week. If I could see the books, I'm sure they billed that way too. Plus, it puts 2 normal off days, Sat & Sun into the pay week.

They also don't bother to tell you until you've gotten your 1st check & are missing a day's pay from it. They explain it when you inquire about it. As I said, all their printed documents stated a Mon-Fri or Mon-Sun work week. Any reasonable person would think the pay ran the same way. Every other weekly pay business I worked for paid that way. This one co. was the only 1 I ever knew that did this.

Start a job on Mon with normal 8 hour days, 5 days a week. Get your check following week, missing 8 hours. Working 10 hours/50, you get a check for 40. Your Fri pay goes on next week. So you thought you had 10 hours OT? Nope, you may get it next week if you don't happen to miss a day then. I'm sure there is nothing illegal about it but it is lowdown. I call it as I see it. Sometimes labor is sorry & lazy, sometimes management is conniving & manipulating.

Even with a "regular" work week they could stiff you by having you work 4 10's and then say "Sorry, no work for you Friday, stay home". Even better, the guy who was off on Monday takes his 4 10's Tuesday to Friday. The company gets 16 hours of overtime without paying for it, assuming you don't need the full two-man crew on Monday and Friday.

Gold

It has been long enough now that I am not still angry over it. I never lost sleep over it but never forgot that it is a lowdown way to do business. Your defending it makes me wonder if you do it in some form.

It is not a logical way to keep time to begin with. For the co. to go to the extra trouble, they had to get a lot of benefit from it. They were also a co. that had been convicted of bid rigging, so their honesty was not rock solid to begin with.

If a person works Mon-Fri or Mon-Sun he should get paid the same way. One crew had the situation where they worked nearly 'round the clock Mon-Sat to get a job done. They were all exhausted and some had to sleep in a day or 2 afterward. Then they found that their time stopped at midnight Thurs & their Fri and Sat time counted following week. With the rest time they took, their Fri/Sat time counted for a lot less. You cannot tell me that is not dishonest. If you do, I count you among the crooks.

You got me grammar nazi, I'm a crook.

I think I have a new stalker.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
RE: Payday and pay week

Companies have a lot of different pay policies. A client company I did some work for paid their union employees weekly, their non-exempt office employees bi-weekly, and the exempt office employees monthly.

IIRC, union employees were paid on Fridays for the previous M-Su period, so they were paid 5 days after the end of the last day they were being paid for. Non-exempt office employees were paid the same way but it was every other Friday, but still got paid 5 days after the last day of the pay period.

Exempt office employees had a pay schedule that never made much sense to me. I am not sure I remember it correctly but I think it was the 4th Wednesday of the month, and covered the entire previous calender month so you were almost 2/3 of a month behind. A new employee could conceivably not get a paycheck for 6 or 7 weeks.

Most of the time the reason for weird pay weeks is to make it easier for the office staff to collect time cards and get the payroll out.

Currently I get paid every other week on Fridays for the 2 week period ending the previous Saturday. Expense checks are cut during the non-payroll week. Just easier on the owner's wife that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.