service

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdr

How do you figure a service size that supplies
only 30, 120v outlets for truck heaters.
the heaters are 1500W each.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: service

Originally posted by jdr:
How do you figure a service size that supplies
only 30, 120v outlets for truck heaters.
the heaters are 1500W each.
220.3(B)
(1)Specific Appliances or Loads. An outlet for a specific appliance or other load not covered in (2) through (11) shall be computed based on the ampere rating of the appliance or load served.

Based on this you have 375A, so would need a 200A 120/240 service.

Just MHO.

[ January 04, 2005, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: petersonra ]

coulter

jdr -

Where I live, engine heaters are a continous load. I would size the feeder (service?) at 188A X 1.25 = 234A. 250A panel.

As an aside, you can save your customer a little money on the power bills. Put in a timer, two thermostats, and a 250A contactor. First thermostat, set to 20F, energizes timer which pulls in contactor 1/2 hour on - 1/2 hour off. Second thermostat, set to 0F (zero deg F), locks contactor ON.

carl

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by petersonra:Its 200A on each hot leg, so the total available is 400A.
No, it?s 200 amps on each hot leg, so the total available is 200A.

You can?t add 200 amps plus 200 amps and get 400 amps. The math does not work that way, because the two ?200 amps? are not the same thing. You are adding apples to oranges. The difference between the two ?200 amps? is the phase angle.

But this type of problem should not be performed in terms of amps. You should always add loads in terms of power, and convert to amps at the end. In this case, you have 30 loads, each being 1500 watts. That gives you 45,000 watts total. Divide by 240 volts, and you get 187.5 amps. So that could go on a 200 amp panel. However, I do not know whether this type of heater would be running for more than 3 hours at a time. Coulter might be right about upsizing by 25%.

coulter

bob -

If it were a 3phase panel, would you say there was 600A available?

I ask cause I work with an electrician that does something similar. For example, we were having trouble with a particular genset and he comes in and says, "There is a 1000A of load the generator." Now this freaks me out cause I know it's a 350kW and nameplate current is likely 526A or so.

So I question him a little, and he says, "Well it's 330A per phase, and that's about 1000A total."

We have a short discussion on this and he looks at me perplexed, and says, "So you want me to give the readings in a per phase number as opposed to adding them up.?"

"Yeah. (delivered with a straight face) That's what your ammeter reads. That's what the meter on the panel reads. It matches the units on the nameplate. And if you were sizing wire, that's the number you would use."

So where does this convention of adding up the phases to get the total load come from?

carl

coulter

Just had a thought: You are likely industrial/commerical and may have 3phase available. Just so happens I put in a bunch of temp heater outlets lately.

With 3phase, 208V, load is 125A x 1.25 = 156A.

Now if your feed is 3ph, 480v, then put the xfmr at the outdoor panel, with a primary disconnect. assuming 45kVA, primary current is 54A X 1.25 = 68A. Contactor can be on the 480V side of the xfmr, which makes it a lot smaller.

carl

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

My point was you need 375 amps @ 120V.

You have 200A available on each hot leg for a total of 400A of 120V.

I think truck heaters have internal thermostats so this would not be a continuous load.

jimwalker

Lady , how do you get 600 amps at 120 ? 1500 divided by 120 =12.5 x 30=375 amps x125% =468.75 amps and i find it hard to believe this is continues load.If 120 /240 is available i agree on a 200 amp service.

coulter

Uhh Jim -

You live in Florida - of course you don't believe it's a continous load. :)

Last week it was -38F here, for a couple of days. This is called normal. Truck and car heaters are definitely a continuous load.

As for the dollars, "Welcome to the Great North". :)

carl

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by petersonra: You have 200A available on each hot leg for a total of 400A of 120V.
Originally posted by coulter: So I question him a little, and he says, "Well it's 330A per phase, and that's about 1000A total."
I tried once to discourage this manner of describing current flow. I would like to try to discourage it again. For the single phase example, 200 plus 200 equals 200; it does not equal 400. For the three-phase example, 330 plus 330 plus 330 equals 330; it does not equal 1000. As Dave Barry was wont to say, ?I swear that I am not making this up.?

Here is how the math works (single phase example):
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Put 200 amps of 120 volt load on the left-hand (even-numbered) breakers of a 120/240V panel.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Put 200 more amps of 120 volt load on the right-hand (odd-numbered) breakers of the same 120/240V panel.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The left-hand side has 200 amps times 120 volts, or 24,000 watts of load. Please note that load is power, it is not current.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The right-hand side also has 200 amps times 120 volts, or 24,000 watts of load.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The total load is 24,000 watts plus 24,000 watts, or 48,000 watts.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The total current associated with this total load is 48,000 watts divided by 240 volts, or 200 amps.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">QED

jimwalker

Charlie ,now you have me confused.We agree that on a 120/240 single phase 200 amp service we have 48,000 watts available.We also seem to agree that that 48,000 is from 2 sides supplying 24,000 each at 120 volts.Why is it wrong to look at this as 400 amps at 120 volts ? If i had 10 20 amp breakers all on even numbers do we agree that i can add them to get 200 amps ? Then why not do the same on the odd number breakers and then say i have 400 amps at 120 volts available :confused:

by the way the breakers on left are odd

[ January 04, 2005, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

jimwalker

George move to FL ,but get ready to take some really low pay.I will think about you wed while i wipe swet from my face :D right now i have sunburned face

Status
Not open for further replies.