service

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: service

I must say I feel guilty too, we are hovering around 65 to 70 in the Smokies, even running the A/C in the truck.

Roger

jimwalker

At least once a year we get a cold snap here and it reminds me why i moved here.I look at it this way,you work all your life then retire and move to FL. i Bypassed that step.Had my taste of cold and snow and left it all back in 73.Yes i miss some of it but not enough to be in pain from the cold and forced to work in it.Actually when i retire i might move to the mountains.No problem if i can stay inside.

[ January 04, 2005, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

pierre

Roger and Jim
Have some sympathy for us guys in the cold :)
even if it is not as cold here as for the frigid guys, once it is below 20 I am uncomfortable, but not as uncomfortable as when it is hot and humid in the south during the summer :D

Pierre

lady sparks lover

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Lady , how do you get 600 amps at 120 ? 1500 divided by 120 =12.5 x 30=375 amps x125% =468.75 amps and i find it hard to believe this is continues load.If 120 /240 is available i agree on a 200 amp service.
Hi JimW,

You know what, I was saying 125%, and since the Utility does not usually supply a 500 amp service, I was saying go for a 600amp, but yes it would be 468.75Amps...that's all. :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by jimwalker: Charlie ,now you have me confused. . . . Why is it wrong to look at this as 400 amps at 120 volts ?
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">(1) Because it is imprecise.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">(2) Because it can mislead those who are trying to learn the trade.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">(3) Because if two professionals, each of whom fully understands the ?technical truth,? speak to one another using sloppy, conversational, slang language, the two will not confuse each other. We do it all the time. But if one such person uses the same language with a trainee, that trainee might not learn the ?technical truth.?</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So I strongly recommend that everyone be clear in our instructions and our conversations with trainees and with our paying customers.

Here is the ?technical truth? on this issue:
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You CAN supply 400 amps worth of 120 volt loads by placing 200 amps on each side of the panel.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you measure the current on that panel, you will get a reading of 200 amps.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The correct (i.e., precise) way to describe that load is that the panel has 200 amps worth of 120/240 volt loads, for a total of 48,000 watts, with each individual load being served at 120 volts.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

by the way the breakers on left are odd
That?s what I get for reverting to my Navy training (?Odd to starboard, even to port?).

Status
Not open for further replies.