Servicing pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

noon9elec

I am going to start servicing pool equipment for a pool co. I’ve looked at 2 jobs where the original bonding is a mess and gas heaters not GFI protected. while I am going to make it a practice to place any equipment on GFI breakers, i wonder how far I have to go with repairing bonding issues. I plan on repairing what i can to meet code at the time installation. thoughts?

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Perform a bond test to determine if all metal objects at pool side such as ladders, rails, diving board stands or slide ladders are bonded. Anything metallic within 5' of the water. There are companies that have specific certification to perform and record a bond test. A written document goes along with the test.
New Jersey public pools require re-certification I believe every 3 years. I have on at least one occasion, been required to have a bonding certification on a residential pool during a renovation.
Address the GFCI requirement. And yes, as shortcircuit2 said, file for a permit. Create a paper trail with the pool company to CYA.

paulengr

There are special GFCIs specifically for pool pumps (VFD resistant).

The bond test I’m familiar with is you use a low ohm bridge tester (DLRO, Ductor, etc.) and a long piece of #14 with some way to clip it on. Run the tester on your “extension lead” then between the lead and the ground bar in the panel. Subtracting the difference gives you ohms. Anyone do it differently?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
In my experience, the pool companies are looking for someone to reconnect pump wiring, heaters, light transformers, etc. They are not going to pay you to add GFCI protection. They would direct you to the pool owner for that. Some of them don't even inform the customer of the requirements when selling them the pool, especially for above ground pools that meet requirements for a permanent pool. I've had some that almost faint when they here what is required electrically by code. They say thats the first time they ever heard it.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
In my experience, the pool companies are looking for someone to reconnect pump wiring, heaters, light transformers, etc. They are not going to pay you to add GFCI protection. They would direct you to the pool owner for that. Some of them don't even inform the customer of the requirements when selling them the pool, especially for above ground pools that meet requirements for a permanent pool. I've had some that almost faint when they here what is required electrically by code. They say thats the first time they ever heard it.
Welcome to my world and the cobblers I compete against. I've had many of the same experiences you just mentioned- "I need what? The other guy didn't mention that" says the home owner. Contractor gone by then along with his "tail light warranty".

noon9elec

thanks for replies. i will need to look into bond testing. I look forward to arguing my point as far as needing GFI at pump. Luckily I’m the only guy they have. thank you

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
thanks for replies. i will need to look into bond testing. I look forward to arguing my point as far as needing GFI at pump. Luckily I’m the only guy they have. thank you

shortcircuit stated it correct. It's a code requirement. Period. You could give them a copy of that section. If they don't want to comply, I would walk. Follow up with a letter stating current conditions and current requirements and list repairs needed to CYA!!!!!
brian john correct also. Plenty of POS pools. Take pics and document.

brian john

I would imagine there's a dif betwixt ohming and megging it all out

~RJ~
It must be nice to have "0" Zero ohms resistance we need to market what this guy has in his pool decks.

Megging would not be a test utilized to check pool deck resistance a Micr-ohm meter, ductor or a two-point ground test

Status
Not open for further replies.