Set screw butt splices for overhead connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

I've known guys that use RX connectors and tape them up knowing that the POCO will be out shortly after they get notified that the service has been upgraded.

YEP.

Done that way for years.
One I did 20 yrs ago is still that way (home owner took out permit and never followed through I reckon). Still think about it though...and knock on wood.

Now a days, if it looks like the connection is going to be "temporarily permanent" I'll use the ilsco. Much better than a rx connector and much-much less $$$ than split bolt connectors.

Sparky555

I prefer the aluminum butt splices. I connect the splice to the drip loop wire, tape past the first screw and leave the tape roll hanging from the splice. Then connect the utility wire and tape the rest. I feel much more in control than with split bolts or parallel splices.

KVA

Another question is...

What do you guys use when you tape the splices? Do you use 33+ tape first then rubber then another layer of 33? That's what i do but for the rubber tape I like the 3M wraps or I have a roll of wide rubber tape i just cut to size and it covers the whole splice in one shot.

jumper

Another question is...

What do you guys use when you tape the splices? Do you use 33+ tape first then rubber then another layer of 33? That's what i do but for the rubber tape I like the 3M wraps or I have a roll of wide rubber tape i just cut to size and it covers the whole splice in one shot.

I do similar, but I wrap the first layer of 33+ on backwards, sticky side out, so it is easier to get off later if necessary.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I use these Ilsco P840 connectors. They all install with the same die in my MD6-8 crimper. They are SE rated.

P840.jpg

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I use these Ilsco P840 connectors. They all install with the same die in my MD6-8 crimper. They are SE rated.

P840.jpg

While this post is on these connectors, has anyone experienced a loose connection with these brought on by the freeze thaw cycle. If these connectors are verticle, they will hold water. I have found a few that have the wires pushed out when the water gets cold enough to freeze and thaw a few times.

kwired

Electron manager
While this post is on these connectors, has anyone experienced a loose connection with these brought on by the freeze thaw cycle. If these connectors are verticle, they will hold water. I have found a few that have the wires pushed out when the water gets cold enough to freeze and thaw a few times.

I have never seen that and find it hard to believe they are sealed well enough to hold water. If water somehow did stay inside I can see it happening though.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I have never seen that and find it hard to believe they are sealed well enough to hold water. If water somehow did stay inside I can see it happening though.

Like I said, if the connectors are verticle, they will hold water. It is basically a piece of aluminum that is drilled out on both ends, but not drilled all the way through.
Just trying to let others know it will happen. It is the one thing we look for now if we have irregular voltages, loose neutral, you know...:)

kwired

Electron manager
Like I said, if the connectors are verticle, they will hold water. It is basically a piece of aluminum that is drilled out on both ends, but not drilled all the way through.
Just trying to let others know it will happen. It is the one thing we look for now if we have irregular voltages, loose neutral, you know...:)

You have a point - I did not think about the fact the aluminum body is usually not drilled all the way through. I have still never seen one fail outside of obvious physical damage, like being ripped down by falling tree limbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.