Sevice Disconnect - Fused or Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lepton

NEC 2008: 400A 240V single phase service (Farm) - Utillity wants a owner disconnect so that they can stop running out to pull the meter base. Owner said OK. We go from meter base to 2P disconnect to power distribution block to multiple (4 to 6 eventually) panels with CB disconnects (125 to 200A). Owner purchased a non-fused disconnect. Does the disconnect have to be fused. Local inspector thinks so but she can't find it find it in the code.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In my opinion, it is not a violation, and since it is POCO required might be considered much the same as the "cold sequence" switches they often require ahead of metering (as opposed to 'service disconnect')
It might be worth noting that NF switches almost if not always have ratings at or below 10k as far as AIC. That may not be a problem in this case but it would be worth questioning.

Lepton

Thanks for the input. 547.9 says it has to be pole mounted which isn't an option.

230.90 looks like it's OK, but the restriction of 230.91 (immediately adjacent) is open to interpretation. The panel next to the disconnect is obviously immediately adjacent, but is the panel next to that panel? How about the panel 48" away.

I'm going to have the owner return the non-fused disconnect and supply a fused disconnect. The inspector didn't even mention the AIC issue (and I'm not), just that the disconnect be listed as a usable as a service disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.