Sewage Pumping Station Wet Well

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
The motors in the wet well come with pre-attached/wired cable on the motor. The wet well design will have at least 12 air changes per hour, and it has been determined the area is Class 1, Div 2.

Proposed design includes bringing the cable out of the wet well by installing a PVC sch 80 conduit sleeve out the top of the well wall (horizontally), 90 deg bend up (min 18" above finished grade) and fasten in place for support. A min. 6" air gap will exist between the top of the conduit and bottom of a NEMA 4X JBX. Therefore the bottom of the JBX will be at least 24" above finished grade.

The cable will run through the conduit sleeve and terminate in JBX using a properly sized cable gland. A sealed fitting should not be required because the open end of the conduit to air. NEC 501.15(B)(2), Exception 2.

This installation will allow the cable to be removed for maintenance, without causing damage to a sealed fitting, which is required by permitting agency, eliminates the use of sealed fittings, and keeps corrosive gas out of the JBX by having the cable enter through a cable gland.

Client contends that the conduit should go from the wet well all the way into the bottom of JBX, and no sealed fittings are required. He is applying the last sentence of NEC 501.15(B)(2), Exception 2 for this, while, in my opinion ignoring the first part of the exception. Then he wants a sealed fitting to be used on the conduit going from the JBX to the motor starter. without the JBX being explosion proof.

My contention is that the client is misinterpreting Exception 2, as a whole, and that it does not allow a conduit to go from a classified area and connect into a JBX in an unclassified area without having a sealed fitting simply because of the last sentence. They have a bunch of facilities done this way, and thinks this one should be done the same.

Looking for second opinions before I politely explain to him, he's wrong.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If you connect the PVC to the junction box it becomes a conduit system and not a cable sleeve. PVC is not a permitted wiring method for Class I, Division 2 areas. I see no way to apply Exception #2 to a conduit that directly connects to a junction box for this application as it does not appear that you are making a transition to one of the wiring methods listed in the first sentence of the exception. If you are not making such a transition, then the exception does not apply.
Don

kingpb said:
Thanks for the input Don, I was second guessing myself since it's been a while since I did one of these.
The only way out if the equipment providing the 12 air-exchange provides that the well will be under negative pressure. In that case you can terminate the cable with a cable gland at the well cover, use an open cable tray/channel support and install your JB without a seal.

If frequent disconnects required, I would consider the use of a Div. 2 rated plug/receptacle combination inside the well.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
We recommended that as our first choice, but for some reason the client was uncomfortable with not having the conduit connected directly to the J-box. I think it was one of those, "well that's the way we've always done it" issues although he didn't come right out and say it. I didn't think it would be politically correct to tell him, he's been doing it wrong, and didn't see any sense in pointing out the obvious.

kingpb said:
We recommended that as our first choice, but for some reason the client was uncomfortable with not having the conduit connected directly to the J-box. I think it was one of those, "well that's the way we've always done it" issues although he didn't come right out and say it. I didn't think it would be politically correct to tell him, he's been doing it wrong, and didn't see any sense in pointing out the obvious.

OK, here is another alternative. Run an enclosed raceway that is approved for the purpose and terminate it inside the hazardous location without coupling and install a cable gland at the end of the counduit to support/seal/fasten the cable. It can only be done if negative pressure is maintained in the well. It will be a POA every time they have to pull out the cable with the motor, but hey give the stoopeed Customer what they want.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
What I've done is to set a concrete handhole next to the well well, sleeve the pump cable into it, make the connections is an explosion proof GUAT. Between the GUAT and motor controller is a seal off. The connections are easy to get to but not in the wetwell.
I have also seen the connections made on the outside of a cabinet with a SS shield around the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.