SFR exterior Cabinet NM

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky2020

New User
Occupation
AHJ
I have a production builder who wants to install the cabinet outside on the brick next to the meter (to avoid the disconnect) and then run the NM thru the SCH 80 nipple to the attached garage then up and out thru the house.

1. the nipple is over filled.
2. 3125(C) requires the cables (NM in this case) to have the individual cables clamped with only one clamp (or connector) per cable. How will this be achieved in the cabinet prior to the breaker, its a tight fit?
3. Is there something in the NEC, other than conduit fill, that prohibits the location of the conduit? back, sides, top etc.? its a big book and I am fairly familiar with it, but not expert. I am shaking some memory cells here.

Thank you.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
312.5(C) says it all. There can be no nipple used to bring cables into the panel in this instance. So how do you surface mount a panel then bring cables into the back of it? Even if you are a Houdini, technically you can't do it anyway with NM because the gap between the back of the panel and the wall is a wet location. So damned if I know which is just one reason I feel outside panels should be outlawed. There really is no code compliant way to install them.

That said, I will note though that there was some discussion here years ago about some kind of "apron" being available that went under the panel allowing NM to be brought out through the wall and into the bottom KOs. The "apron" legally covered the cables and created a dry location under the panel, though I kinda remember that they may not be legal everywhere. Maybe someone remembers.

-Hal

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I have a production builder who wants to install the cabinet outside on the brick next to the meter (to avoid the disconnect) and then run the NM thru the SCH 80 nipple to the attached garage then up and out thru the house.

1. the nipple is over filled.
2. 3125(C) requires the cables (NM in this case) to have the individual cables clamped with only one clamp (or connector) per cable. How will this be achieved in the cabinet prior to the breaker, its a tight fit?
3. Is there something in the NEC, other than conduit fill, that prohibits the location of the conduit? back, sides, top etc.? its a big book and I am fairly familiar with it, but not expert. I am shaking some memory cells here.

Thank you.

Look at the Houston amendments.

2021-04-01_14-39-46.jpg

LRR

Occupation
Inspector
Sorry for the delay, outside of Houston So DNA. I agree outside panels should be prohibited. I agree with the Houdini comment. It’s a quagmire and they’ll have to fix it, just seeing what anyone else has come across In the case. Thanks for the welcome and the input.

LRR

Occupation
Inspector
It’s weird, somehow this forum has me as Sparky2020 and LRR? doesn’t really matter just odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.