Shanty Illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeleste

Occupation
General Electrician/Superintendent
Hi guys
Spoke with an inspector today who gave a correction for using a Shanty to cover a flush mounted Panel. He is saying that it is not UL listed and that it is a HUGE safety concern because its a top hinge door without a support to hold the door open. I get his reasoning as far as the door not having a stop to keep it open, but is this really a code violation or safety hazard? I cannot find anything in 110.26 that states this requirement for Hinge doors or anything that does not permit using a Shanty.

Anyone ever run into this or have any useful info?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Don't know what a shanty is but a wood cover over a closed panel is not an issue as long as it's still readily accessible.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

I also don't recognize the term as used here. A shanty is another term for a shack.

From the description, it sounds like a cover or hatch hinged at the top.

Does the panel door hold the cover up when it's open? Maybe that's enough.

Xeleste

Occupation
Don't know what a shanty is but a wood cover over a closed panel is not an issue as long as it's still readily accessible.
Its just a cover with a panel door with a top hinge ( see pic ). It provides protection for the flush mounted panel and has a lip for the water proofing paper and finish to tie into. I don't find anything for uses not permitted on this shanty cover. Same concept as what your stating with the wooden cover.

1572583850547_6368099271966720_187_resized.jpg

Xeleste

Occupation
Welcome to the forum.

I also don't recognize the term as used here. A shanty is another term for a shack.

From the description, it sounds like a cover or hatch hinged at the top.

Does the panel door hold the cover up when it's open? Maybe that's enough.
See the pic I posted above. No the panel door doesn't have anything to hold the door in the open position. Definitely annoying, but is it an actual code violation or safety hazard?

Inspector was super rude and didn't want to explain himself when I asked, stating that any journeyman that doesn't know about this needs to go back to school. HAHA! Guess I passed my exam for nothing.

Buck Parrish

Hi guys
Spoke with an inspector today who gave a correction for using a Shanty to cover a flush mounted Panel. He is saying that it is not UL listed and that it is a HUGE safety concern because its a top hinge door without a support to hold the door open. I get his reasoning as far as the door not having a stop to keep it open, but is this really a code violation or safety hazard? I cannot find anything in 110.26 that states this requirement for Hinge doors or anything that does not permit using a Shanty.

Anyone ever run into this or have any useful info?
A pic would be an asset to this conversation. Or perhaps a simple drawn diagram. dang beat me to it.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Well, let's see. I've had several headaches from exterior panels that were supposed to stay in the open position.
Most notably SQ. D. And I'm a SQ. D. guy.
Your inspector needs to find something else to pick on you with. 😀

Ron

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
FWIW shanty in Scotland is a term for a lavatory. Also as as a privy there and in other places in the world.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Wasted on me.......................:(
Yeah, sorry. Hahaha. Jonathan Edwards is a folk singer. Those are lyrics of one of his more popular songs.
I'm not sure of the name of the song. Hopefully ggunn or one of the other knowledgeable musical members can tell you.
Then, you can look it up. Good song, though.

Ron

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Oxford Dictionary says a shanty is a small, crudely built shack.
You will never get a shanty being UL listed. Lol

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Hi guys
Spoke with an inspector today who gave a correction for using a Shanty to cover a flush mounted Panel.
I have never seen a 'Shanty'.
So this obviously outdoors, is it a wet location or a damp location?
And whats the flush mounted Panel a NEMA 1 indoor?

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Yeah, sorry. Hahaha. Jonathan Edwards is a folk singer. Those are lyrics of one of his more popular songs.
I'm not sure of the name of the song. Hopefully ggunn or one of the other knowledgeable musical members can tell you.
Then, you can look it up. Good song, though.

Ron
Well I know him now. I used to go to a folk club.

Scottish. For give the digression.

Status
Not open for further replies.