Shared neutral lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Ok, on my next pad mount job, I'm running 3 neutrals from the pad mount, to the panel. And also, since we can't share a neutral, I have no need for conduit. All my jobs will be BX.

For service conductors this has never been an issue - isn't your main(s) a multipole device where all poles operate simultaneously?

It isn't that you can't share a neutral, you just must follow certain rules if you do. I really don't see what pipe vs cable has to do with anything here. You can have cable wiring systems and still use multiwire branch circuits, it especially has been common with two "hots and a neutral" because three wire with ground cables are pretty common but you can get 4 wire with ground cables also.

spark master

For service conductors this has never been an issue - isn't your main(s) a multipole device where all poles operate simultaneously?

It isn't that you can't share a neutral, you just must follow certain rules if you do. I really don't see what pipe vs cable has to do with anything here. You can have cable wiring systems and still use multiwire branch circuits, it especially has been common with two "hots and a neutral" because three wire with ground cables are pretty common but you can get 4 wire with ground cables also.
There is no sarcasm in written text, but the real answer to why I wouldn't use conduit anymore. Your increasing the conduit fill by 50%. Instead of 4 wires, now your stuffing 6 wires into a conduit. And if you run an actual ground wire in the conduit, now your really increasing your conduit fill. It's a waste of material, money, time, efficiency, and probably a few more things I cannot think of at the moment.

kwired

Electron manager
There is no sarcasm in written text, but the real answer to why I wouldn't use conduit anymore. Your increasing the conduit fill by 50%. Instead of 4 wires, now your stuffing 6 wires into a conduit. And if you run an actual ground wire in the conduit, now your really increasing your conduit fill. It's a waste of material, money, time, efficiency, and probably a few more things I cannot think of at the moment.

If you are only running a single "full boat" vs 6 conductors what is the big issue other than you used more copper. Either way (assuming 20 amp circuits and 12 AWG) it will fit into a 1/2 inch raceway - and many like to run 3/4 inch anyway. Deration on six conductors doesn't result in an increase in conductor size - unless ambient temp would make it a factor. Use the handle ties or multipole breakers and raceway issues don't change at all.

The same issues were still there before the handle tie rule if you chose to run a separate neutral with each hot conductor.

If you want to run a "full boat" in a cable wiring method you can still do so, nothing has changed other than the requirement to use handle ties or multipole breakers.

The handle tie doesn't trip other poles, but you may end up shutting off tied handles when trying to reset a tripped one.

Status
Not open for further replies.