shared transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernboys

hey guys a friend of me just informed me that the mall she works at which is an outdoor mall has two seperate utility companys that supply power to it. My question is does this mean that there would have to be seperate transmissions lines running to the mall to feed it power or is there a way that two pocos can share the transmission and transformer lines. I cant see this as being typical or is it?

bphgravity

Re: shared transformers

Power generation and transmission is a strange deal. I don't understand it at all. I recently read in Electrical Contractor magazine that Florida Power and Light controls about 43% of the nations wind-power generation in 15 different states. So it appears to me that someone may produce the electrical energy and then they will sell it to whomever wants to buy it and distribute it. It seems complicated.

Here in SW Florida, we have several cooperatives along with FPL. They all use the same power lines and distribution facilities, but each controls a regional portion of them. I would assume that the mall is located in an area under the responsibility of two different cooperatives that probably buy the power from the same source and maintain and distribute it in their defined region.

Status
Not open for further replies.