Sharing a low volt conduit with non electrical tubing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifj921

Occupation
service tech
I am wondering what the code would be, if there is one, for this situation. I have a low volt sensor wire, two conductor, that is part of an "autofill" system on a swimming pool. It runs in a conduit between the pool and the mechanical room. I would like to run two small vent tubes through the same conduit to vent fumes from the acid and chlorine tanks. There will be no liquid and no pressure in either tube..... Can I do this? Is there a code I can reference when I have the inevitable conversation with an inspector.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I have a low volt sensor wire, two conductor, that is part of an "autofill" system on a swimming pool. It runs in a conduit between the pool and the mechanical room. I would like to run two small vent tubes through the same conduit
I see no problem with it and the NEC doesn't even address it. You have CL2 wiring that doesn't require conduit so running it in conduit constitutes a sleeve for it. Then you want to run some tubing along with it. This would be the same as running the LV wiring and the tubing together without the conduit. So unless there are some circumstances that you aren't telling us like the sensor isn't CL2 or the conduit terminating in line voltage enclosures, I see no problem.

-Hal

ifj921

Occupation
service tech
No high voltage....my only problem is an electrician that is having a cow over the mere suggestion of such blasphemy.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
No, not even in the definitions. It's only mentioned in the context of one way to protect cables where necessary. So basically for what you are doing there is nothing that addresses it so the code doesn't apply.

-Hal

dkidd

Occupation
PE
I found this once.

Attachments

• Underground Utility Agreement.pdf
    66.1 KB · Views: 14

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I see no problem with it and the NEC doesn't even address it. You have CL2 wiring that doesn't require conduit so running it in conduit constitutes a sleeve for it. Then you want to run some tubing along with it. This would be the same as running the LV wiring and the tubing together without the conduit. So unless there are some circumstances that you aren't telling us like the sensor isn't CL2 or the conduit terminating in line voltage enclosures, I see no problem.

-Hal
I disagree, how are you getting around 300.8

Status
Not open for further replies.