Shock From a Copy Machine Imigistics C650

Status
Not open for further replies.
Separate Ground Wire And UL 1950

Separate Ground Wire And UL 1950

The UL STANDARD 1950 calls for a 3 wire grounded cord as follows :
3.2.3 Appliance Inlets for Class 1 Equipment shall have an
earthing terminal connected to the protective earthing terminal within the equipment
3.2.4 POWER SUPPLY CORDS SHALL:
Include ,in the the case of Class1 EQUIPMENT, a green/yellow earthing conductor electrically connected to the protective earthing terminal within
the equipment and connected to the earthing contact of the plug, if any;

The information below was taken from The SERVICE MANUAL.
I checked the outlet integrity to make sure that there wasn't a high resistant ground which would not kick the circuit breaker . A high resistant ground can kill you.

Electric Power Source

Use an outlet with a capacity of 115 /120/127V 1,630.Watts or more, or 220-240V, 1712 Wattsor more.

If any other electrical equipment is sourcedfrom thesame power outlet, make sure that the capacity of the outlet is not exceeded.

Use a power source with little voltage fluctuation.

Never connect by means of a multiple socket any other appliances or machines to the outlet being used for the copier.
Make the following checks at frequent intervals:
Is the power plug abnormally hot?
Are there any cracks or scrapes in the cord?
Has the power plug been inserted fully into the outlet?
Does something, including the copier itself, ride on the power cord?
Ensure that the copier does not ride on the power cord or communications cable of other electrical equipment, and that it does not become wedged into or underneath the mechanism.

Grounding
To prevent receiving electrical shocks in the case of electrical leakage, always groundthe copier.
Connect the grounding wire to:
The ground terminal of the outlet.
A grounding contact which complies with the local electrical standards.
Never connect the grounding wire to a gas pipe, the grounding wire for a telephone, or a water pipe.

Copier Shock

Copier Shock

Although Capacitors can store large charges that can discharge through a person to ground the damage caused sounds like a AC current found a path to ground.

I have seen many large office copy machines on detecated 120v, 20a circuits. Was the branch circuit breaker tripped?

Also machine grounding may not have been any use in this case if the person managed to insert a metal object to which they were in contact to a live circuit conductor while providing a path to ground.

People do crazy things sometimes. Sounds like the same senario as the old "fork in the toaster" trick!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
thermalsensing said:
Grounding
To prevent receiving electrical shocks in the case of electrical leakage, always groundthe copier.
Connect the grounding wire to:
The ground terminal of the outlet.
A grounding contact which complies with the local electrical standards.
Never connect the grounding wire to a gas pipe, the grounding wire for a telephone, or a water pipe.

I assume many different power cord options may be used with this copier (i.e. North American vs New Zealand). If this is true, than the service manual is saying that there needs to be at least one grounding conductor that connects directly to the grounding terminal of the supply receptacle instead of a one run to a different ground point like a water pipe. I do not know of any listed device for making connection to a receptacle grounding pin except a listed 3-wire cord and plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.