Shock from Swimming pool water

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago I was checking my pool after an all day rain. The pump was running and I turned on the underwater lights. I knelt beside the pool on wet concrete and reached down to touch the water for temperature test. I immediately received a tremendous shock like a static discharge or discharge from a capacitor. I wasn't hurt. I turned off everything. Next morning I could not recreate the shock.

I went thru the panel box with a multimeter and found the GFI breaker to the lights was inoperative. It would not trip when button was depressed. I flipped it off. I disconnected the hot wire. Checked the metal handrail into the pool. I could detect a small charge, a tingling when grasping the handrail. I removed the GFI breaker for the lights from the panel box and retested the hand rail. No charge or tingling.

I can find no evidence of bonding for the pool except for one bare wire coming out of the concrete pad the pool pump and filter are mounted on 30 ft away from the pool. No connection or evidence at the pump, ladder, diving bd or hand rail. Cannot check lights for bonding as they are under concrete decking. No metal plate in water of at skimmer.

Pretty sure Lights and bonding are the problem. 3 years ago I replaced one of the lights. Last winter water began leaking out thru the light fixture housing. I repaired the leak with epoxy putty at the location the wire passed thru the housing. Its possible that if the lights were bonded, the water leaking out could have corroded the connection. But don't know where the voltage came from. Connection for the lights at the transformer is above water level. It was fine. Its possible the insulation for the wires from the lights to the transformer were worn thru at the housing. Haven't checked yet.

The pool has been used continually for the last 6 years sometimes with the under water lights. This is the first incident of electric shock.Lights will remain disconnected until resolved and maybe permanently. Will correct bonding.

Would appreciate any comments or advice.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Please call an electrician this is not something to be done by yourself.

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.