Shock Hazard Present at Overhead Crane between Pendant/Hook and Building Steel - Unsure of Mechanism

jimlulz

New User
Occupation
Engineer
Hi All,

Searched through the forums, internet, and various people - but can't find an explanation. I am aware that NEC 610.61 requires the fourth equipment grounding conductor for overhead cranes. We have a crane like this, powered by a 3phase 480V AC bus rail that is also supplied with a grounding conductor bar. The crane chassis is bonded to the ground conductor bar. The crane itself contains a series of VFDs, and a 120V AC control transformer with the X2 also bonded to the crane chassis. The 3phase power fed to the crane is supplied by a Delta-Wye, solidly grounded, transformer.

Due to the environment, the ground bar has gotten dirty (resulting in a high resistance/open connection to the system ground). When staff have touched the hook/pendant suspended from the crane, and fixed building steel (system ground) they have been shocked. It is unclear what the voltage and current of the shock is, and it is also unclear whether or not the dirty ground bar and the shock event are directly correlated. We are still in the infancy of collecting data/measurements.

However, in digging into this, I am trying to piece together and understand the possible causes of the shock hazard in lieu of a short circuit, ground fault, or objectionable current situation. The crane technician and other engineers can't seem to describe why the ground connection is necessary to prevent this particular shock, only that they state that this EGC is required per NEC610.61. This is correct, of course, but the lack of explanation of the mechanism is driving me crazy. All the various crane websites/publications simply restate NEC610.61 without any explanation as to why its important beyond the very basics.

Understanding, of course, that the bonded connections are to provide a fault path back to the source both on the 480v and 120v circuits, if the open ground bar connection is directly tied to the shock issue, why would that present a shock hazard without a second issue/phenomenon also being present? What is the circuit that is being completed by the person between the crane chassis and building system ground?

Explanations for the shock have, so far, included:

1. Some kind of leakage current/capacitive coupling from the VFD circuits that no longer can discharge back to their source through the system ground connection (as the 480V AC circuits are now totally isolated from the system ground).

2. Due to the bonding of the X2 to the chassis on the control transformer, this induces a potential difference by itself, between the now floating frame of the crane, and the structural steel of the building (system ground). This was an engineers explanation, and then started talking about how the chassis could become part of the circuit anyway, with no place to 'bleed off'? That current would just circulate through the chassis without a return path? I can't see how this makes sense, as unless there is some kind of fault/short circuit between the 120V AC and the chassis ground, there should be no current flowing between the chassis, and the neutral/X2 connection point. Due to the fact that the chassis is directly bonded to the X2 terminal, any short circuit condition between the 120VAC and chassis would then travel directly back through the X2/neutral connection and likely not through the pendant/crane hook?

2. Somewhere on the 120V neutral, someone bonded something twice that we haven't found, resulting in objectionable current flowing through the crane chassis. Note that this explanation would likely be independent from losing the crane chassis ground.

4. Static buildup on the crane chassis with no discharge point back to the earth, passes through the person once contact with the system ground is re-established resulting in a momentary shock, that cannot be replicated consistently.

You're thoughts are appreciated! Please let me know of any reference material/threads relevant to the subject matter. Always hoping to learn more. Thanks!

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Not 2. Power from that control transformer returns to that transformer which is on the crane.
Not 3. Ditto. You could bond the control transformer neutral multiple times.
4: Is the frame of the crane isolated from the rail it rides on? No metal to metal contact at all?

Is the pendant box properly bonded to the Crane? I would look there first.

synchro

Occupation
EE
During your measurements of voltages between various points, can you turn off or disconnect the control transformer to see if it makes a difference?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
My hunch is on 1. When a VFD is operating, the output voltage is a duty cycle modulated square wave, with a voltage of about +-350V peak and a frequency in the kHz range. You can see significant current flowing caused by the tiny capacitance between motor winding and motor steel.

In my lab, on a 75 Hz 480V motor fed by a standard Hitachi drive, we were chasing instrumentation noise issues. The EGC connection back to the drive was seeing very short duration current spikes in the tens of amperes (not 10A RMS, rather spikes on a scope which were in the 10+A range, oscillating in the MHz range, decaying very quickly) with the spikes repeating at the switching frequency of the drive.

If you analyze the resulting parasitic circuit, you will see that these high frequency capacitively coupled spikes will be trying to get back to the transformer via the ground bond.

To determine if this is the source of the shock current, I'd run a jumper from crane hook to building steel, and use a current clamp probe on the jumper to measure the current. If you see spikes at 2x the VFD switching frequency, then you have solid evidence of the source. If you see low frequency sine waves then that suggests some sort of supply fault.

@Jraef might be able to suggest mitigation hardware if the issue is the drives.

-Jon

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I would say #4, as being the most likely scenario. Have you checked for voltage between the hook and a verified ground? Also check for voltage between the slab and a verified ground, it could be possible that voltage is not coming from the crane, but a fault underneath the slab, and the crane being grounded, serves as a return path.

Due to the environment, the ground bar has gotten dirty (resulting in a high resistance/open connection to the system ground).
"dirty"? Dirt or external corrosion shouldn't be a problem, but if it's gotten into the connections that suggests they weren't made properly (not torqued or not sealed appropriate to the environment). I'd fix this before trying anything else.

I also think #1 is more likely than the others.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Many years ago, when I was doing ground cover fire suppression work, helicopters would drop a static discharge line before we tried to guide the sling loaded supplies onto a truck bed or similar small area. The movement of the air by the rotor blades was more than sufficient to build up a static charge that really hurt. When we worked with contract helicopters, that weren't equipped with a static discharge drop line, we would reach up with a fiberglass pole to drop a discharge line onto the hook. Sometimes you could see an impressive visible spark as the drain line touched the hook.

Until you get a better answer maybe you should consider using a drain line off of the hook that will touch the surface before the worker has to touch the load.

Tom Horne

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I’m on board for #1. Common mode current created in the VFD has nowhere to go when the ground path is compromised. So it exists on the entire structure as a static charge that is discharging through the person touching the hook.

Had this issue on some overhead cranes at an aluminum smelter, lots of nasty dust. The crane power bar mfr. (Duct-O-Wire I think?) had a brush / flap assembly that went on either side of the contact shoe to clean the bar off.