Short circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
This thread is an excellent How-To guide for...

How do I burn my house down and blame it on bad wiring to get the insurance money. The house must be completely totaled and there can't be any trace of arson. That way I can move to a better neighborhood or different state.

Sorry, just saying out loud what everyone else was thinking.

kwired

Electron manager

How do I burn my house down and blame it on bad wiring to get the insurance money. The house must be completely totaled and there can't be any trace of arson. That way I can move to a better neighborhood or different state.

Little off topic but I know of someone that had a vehicle crash into their home, broke the gas line and whole house went up pretty quickly, they lost almost everything. Insurance tip from that person: take pictures of what you have, store them in the cloud and/or somewhere safe, insurance won't replace what you can't prove you had. Also make sure your coverage is still sufficient for what you do have and know what will happen in incident like she had if driver isn't insured or doesn't have enough coverage.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman

Unfortunately the forum rules against assuming that... But flat out asking an o.p. what their intentions are isnt. Its a gear grinder though.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
I tried to choose my words carefully to hint that this is not something that people should be giving answers to, and without making accusations. I have no idea what the intentions of the OP are, but wanted to protect the forum from any liability by blatantly connecting the dots for the worst case scenario while at the same time adding a dash of humor.

kwired

Electron manager
Unfortunately the forum rules against assuming that... But flat out asking an o.p. what their intentions are isnt. Its a gear grinder though.
Well it doesn't seem to be clear if it is a how to question or a why did... question yet the responses can apply to either.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Ah, the picture explains it! I see banana trees. Someone extracted banana oil, made paint out of it, painted the house with it, and no one would think it was done to provide the accelerant in an arson fire!

But seriously, a short in the power cable from the pole could walk it's way right down to the house and start it on fire. A uh, er, "cottage" as shown might not take long to become totally engulfed. But the short could have occurred anywhere along the cable and worked both ways.

1679155849558.png

alfranken

Occupation
Bricklayer
It almost seems he wants to burn his house down without getting caught!
emoji23.png

JK

This is how it can engulf the house in minutes then add as mentioned earlier that the amount of heat in the arcing can be pretty high, probably higher than a gasoline accelerated fire would burn. You could easily have conductors in many more places that are contributing to the spread of the fire than you would have with someone spreading a few gallons of gasoline through the house to intentionally burn it down. Gasoline doesn't burn, or at least doesn't burn well, it's vapors however do. Pouring gasoline on the floor then lighting it can burn the whole house down, but depending on conditions may take some time to fully engulf the place. When that gas is burning it is mostly burning vapors from a point a little above the surface so a surface that doesn't absorb the gas could be possible to burn off all the gas and fire goes out with somewhat minimal damage.
But assuming someone did this intentionally, would it leave evidence of arson?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
But assuming someone did this intentionally, would it leave evidence of arson?
Accelerants usually leave some sort of evidence, so Yes. How investigators determine, IDK. Your unoccupied 109 year old 8x9 sheep shed may not garner much for investigative skills. Adding a body or two along with millions of dollars in property value might get you up a step or two on that ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.