Should Flexible Cord feed the 1900 (4 Square) Box ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyH

Refer to attached picture of an industrial facility workbench. The 1900 Box (4 square metal Box) is served by a Flexible Cord (input power source) from the right. The 1900 box has two duplex receptacles serving loads on the workbench. In addition, on the left side of the box is another flexible cord which is intended to feed another 1900 metal box on the next workstation to the left. So, in other words, the intent is to feed the metal box from the right, and then "daisy chain" and feed the next workbench to the left. Is this an NEC violation ? to feed the metal box with flexible cord, as shown on the attached picture ?

Attachments

• Proposed Electrical Box 1.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 0

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
This is kind of how we do it at my facility. When we have work/packing stations in the middle of nowhere we'll feed them with a cord drop from the ceiling. I wire the stations with standard methods- emt and 4 squares, but at the "feed" box I leave a short cord whip with a L5-20 end that gets plugged in to the L5-20r we drop from the ceiling. This makes it easy for stations to be moved around and changed. Most of the drops are actually fed with 4 wire drops and L14-20s. Without looking at article 400 I can't think of anything glaringly disallowed but I wouldn't mind if it was because its a perfectly sound wiring method that's worked for countless plants like mine for a long time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.