Should I push the inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
So just because I hate uf I probably would've done non metallic liquid tight but I keep 20~100 ft and bwg 12 thhn always. To support your argument what does the mechanical code say on the lineset does that inspector say it is not subject to physical damage because if it was I think they'd need to run linehide or something.

macmikeman

Regardless of what the labeling says , UF cable degrades when subjected to direct sunlight. This I know from having to replace it when it was run by others preceding me arriving to find it in bad shape.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
Ya but then lfnc is just as bad in that situation but is allowed.
Plus if you weed eating above a foot you got other issue.
You've obviously never seen land care people in action.

They've torn the outlet off of my mom's townhouse twice. Next box is going to be one of the GE backyard outlet boxes with 5/8 LAG screws. If they manage to tear that off, they'll likely require a couple band aids.

They've torn the outlet off of my mom's townhouse twice. Next box is going to be one of the GE backyard outlet boxes with 5/8 LAG screws. If they manage to tear that off, they'll likely require a couple band aids.
Just today working at a place with a bunch of outbuildings fed with UF. UF coming out of the ground against the stone walls right in the grass. Everything is fine here, the stuff has been here for decades. If you have landscape people tearing boxes off the wall, the problem is the landscape people not anything to do with the electrical.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician

If an extra duty bubble cover would pass inspection can you expect anything more secure for a residential installation. Those lawn care people are like saying that interior of homes need to be protected from physical damage because someone can jump the curb and crash into the house. I do agree that where coming out from the ground that is subject. But I have had to use liquid tight for that last 90 into a shed. This passes inspections.

Maybe we need an addition tier for what's subject to a type of damage

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
If an extra duty bubble cover would pass inspection can you expect anything more secure for a residential installation. Those lawn care people are like saying that interior of homes need to be protected from physical damage because someone can jump the curb and crash into the house. I do agree that where coming out from the ground that is subject. But I have had to use liquid tight for that last 90 into a shed. This passes inspections.

Maybe we need an addition tier for what's subject to a type of damage
You're kidding right? Those so called "extra duty" plastic covers are a complete joke. Look at one a few years down the line and they are sun baked and brittle.

By the time you pay $15 that cheap piece of crap, a GFCi and a box, you're basically at the price of the GE backyard box, which your grand children will still be enjoying.

Around here, anything 36" or lower to the around needs to be in PVC 80.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
You're kidding right? Those so called "extra duty" plastic covers are a complete joke. Look at one a few years down the line and they are sun baked and brittle.

By the time you pay $15 that cheap piece of crap, a GFCi and a box, you're basically at the price of the GE backyard box, which your grand children will still be enjoying.

Around here, anything 36" or lower to the around needs to be in PVC 80.
My point is it's allowed. UL says it's strong enough. I've done kitchen remodels where there is RMC to the oven. Yes the RMC lasted longer than the wire but if you're going with code minimum what is that. You must live where there is a state amendment that says this. Does that amendment allow emt? if it's not spelled out emt isn't allowed where subject to damage either in the NEC.

kwired

Electron manager
If he wants to find out if any past work was done with no permit, I don't see it as your problem unless he can prove you are the one that did it. He should be insisting owner do something about it and if they want to hire you to deal with it then that is fine, but at same time if they don't want to pay you for this you shouldn't have any obligation here either.

Status
Not open for further replies.