Should I start writing my will?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Im considered a newbie here, I think Ive been here in the past, just not sure if Ive participated in any discussions.
Anyhow, Ive been a construction electrician most my adult life with 28 years in the field (the last 8 years have been part time) although at the present I work as a boiler operator for the Govt.

Her in lies my problem, as we all know, the Govt is high and mighty and dont allow inspections from outside sources, inside sources dont have a clue about whats right or wrong. My point being, we are coming to the end of a complete remodel of out boiler plant. These boilers consist of one 750000hp gas fired boiler and two 200000hp "coal fired boilers. Our coal group is class F. Fuel delivery is auger style system from a silo outside the boiler location. We currently have 120 tons in the silo and another 200 tons on a concrete slab for emergency back up.
My current engineers have "self classified" this boiler plant as a "wet,damp" location instead of classifying it as class II Division II like the NEC says (based on a code that was found in a code book Im not familiar with and dont remember the reference numbers). The code they referenced ,in short, stated that because we didnt have X number tons of coal in storage that we werent required to classify the location as class II Division II.
So anyhow, the entire plant was wired "wet,damp" location. (emt with WT fittings and sealtight flex with NEMA 3R enclosures) There are even axle fans blowing air through the control panels. This is right next to the coal fired boilers. The boilers have been lit a couple times (trial but failed) and the whole plant is covered with a thick layer of coal dust right now.
There are other violations (literally everywhere) that Im writing up to have fixed but, now that were coming to an end of the construction phase and they are presently trying to light the new coal fired boilers off, Im starting to get the heebie-jeebies about working in the plant. Im afraid Im going to get blown up.
My question is am I right for my concerns or are the engineers smarter than me and everything is cool?
If Im right about my concerns, ...... "WHO DO I CONTACT" to have the place inspected properly (without risking loosing my job)
Who would have jurisdiction over this matter? My bosses claim that no-one has jurisdiction over Govt buildings?
Thank you for reading, please help me come up with a plan.

cadpoint

www.whistleblowers.gov

You should have been inspected by the US Army Corp of Engineers, If Army.
But they do also control other odd facilities. There are District's that cover wide areas of the States,
and other areas.

Each Service Branch has some over sight for engineering and right of inspection.

All this should be in the construction plans!

Last edited:
This is a VA facility. Im not sure if the Army Corps of Engineers are involved.
Am I right with my classification or have I missed something? Ive talked to several (very knowledgeable electricians) that all agree that it should be dust tight.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Without full details, a few random thoughts:

• "...[T]he whole plant is covered with a thick layer of coal dust..." is reason for concern but unless there's no intent to clean it up I wouldn't get too concerned about getting blown up - yet.

• A facility's "self classification" isn't unusual at all. I would still like to know the standard they are citing with regard to the number of tons in storage as a basis though for non-classification. I familiar with most of the applicable classification standards and I've never heard of that one. BTW you won't find how to classify a Class II location in the NEC itself except for applications subject to Article 516.

• You might be surprised how many wiring methods are recognized by Section 502.10(B) as suitable for Class II, Division 2. Type 3 (and associated) enclosures are recognized as dusttight and Type 4 (and associated) will probably be recognized as dustight "officially" in the 2017 NEC. (In this particular case any AHJ that knows what it's doing should accept it retroactively)

• VA installations are ultimately subject to FedOSHA although it can take a rather circuitous route to get there. I'd still call them.

• An up-to-date will is always a good idea.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Like I say before they are using 3R boxes and not type 4 plus they havent even installed them correctly. They are not standing upwards so water would be routed away but instead facing the floor suspended from the ceiling so water would be channeled into the lid and the mounting holes in the back. They havent supported the EMT according to the NEC and in some areas they are actually using ENT. Pull boxes have been installed with no working spaces and our control cabinets have big axle fans pulling room air (coal dust) through the enclosures (over live parts and contacts). Our room heating units use handy boxes for power connections and touch screen computer moniter systems are exposed to the damp/wet environment. Just a little bit of what were getting with our tax dollars. LOL
Maybe Im just scaring myself after reading accounts of past coal explosions but, Im a little jumpy when Im in the facility.
Do you think I could avoid some of the OSHA circus if I asked my union rep to contact them?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Type 3R may be a problem; installed correctly or not. It isn't necessarily dusttight. Typically, "handy boxes" are only Type 1 and are not certified for outdoor use.

You can have your Union run safety for you.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I think you meant to refer to the application of [2017] prospectively or pro actively?
I.E. enforced before adopted?
Good catch. I mean accepted before formal NEC 2017 adoption since NEMA/ISA/UL will be making the Standards revisions long before any jurisdiction adopts the NEC 2017. The proposed revisions to T110.28 can be reviewed here. [View Public Inputs]

pfalcon

Thank you for your thoughts.
Like I say before they are using 3R boxes and not type 4 plus they havent even installed them correctly. They are not standing upwards so water would be routed away but instead facing the floor suspended from the ceiling so water would be channeled into the lid and the mounting holes in the back.
Installation method removes the 3R rating. They are now Type 1 installations.

... and our control cabinets have big axle fans pulling room air (coal dust) through the enclosures (over live parts and contacts). Our room heating units use handy boxes for power connections and touch screen computer moniter systems are exposed to the damp/wet environment. ...
Again, installation method changes the effective installation type to Type 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.