Should the receptacle install come free with the TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Recently I have been called several times for installing receptacles behind wall-mounted flat screen TV's. I gave them each the price and each thought the job too expensive and declined. I have the same issue with ceiling fan replacements.

I calculate the price of every job I do the same way: trip charge + (estimated labor hours x labor rate) + (material cost x markup) + (rental costs x markup). I have no problem booking most jobs using this formula, but for some reason people think that hanging a ceiling fan or installing an outlet behind a TV should be much less expensive. I actually had one lady say "That's more than I paid for the fan!" Apples and oranges. Guess I should have told her not to buy cheap fans.

ceb58

Give a price on wiring a hot tub. They loose their mind. The salesman said it would only cost about $100.00. Well, get the salesman to wire it.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Give a price on wiring a hot tub. They loose their mind. The salesman said it would only cost about $100.00. Well, get the salesman to wire it.

I've had that and one worse. Lady told me the pool salesman told her only $100 for her pool!:happyno:
Granted it was an above ground but length of run, difficulty in getting power out of the house, bonding, permits, etc. $100 wouldn't even cover the material or permits.

growler

for some reason people think that hanging a ceiling fan or installing an outlet behind a TV should be much less expensive.

I have always thought that dental work was to expensive, it's not like they are real doctors.:happyno:

Don't get bent out of shape folks I was only joking.

It seems that what you think something should cost and what you end up paying can be much different.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Recently I have been called several times for installing receptacles behind wall-mounted flat screen TV's. I gave them each the price and each thought the job too expensive and declined. I have the same issue with ceiling fan replacements.

I calculate the price of every job I do the same way: trip charge + (estimated labor hours x labor rate) + (material cost x markup) + (rental costs x markup). I have no problem booking most jobs using this formula, but for some reason people think that hanging a ceiling fan or installing an outlet behind a TV should be much less expensive. I actually had one lady say "That's more than I paid for the fan!" Apples and oranges. Guess I should have told her not to buy cheap fans.

Your method is sound. People are disillusioned as to what an installation should actually cost. As Larry pointed out they're usually given a low ball price by the salesman who sold them the product. If they actually told them that the $300 TV will cost $500 to install it on the wall there they want it they wouldn't buy it.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I had an abscess in the back of my lower teeth a few years ago. My dentist takes x-rays and says to go see the oral surgeon because he doesn't do extractions and I had an impacted wisdom tooth. (So I affectionately call the oral surgeon "Dr. Yankem'" because every time I need a tooth pulled that's where I have to go.) Dr. Yankem' takes a look and gets out his scalpel. He says you're in luck because as soon as I use my scalpel your medical insurance takes over. So I told him to have at it! :eek:hmy:

-Hal

bullheimer

i was at a guys house for something else so just added i think it was a buck and a half for that. mighta been a hundie. but i wouldnt go out there and do for less than 1hr min, including the travel time to and from so at least 150. its a quickie job but i still have an hour minimum which drive time eats most of. then again, 150 would barely cover that if you put in a $25 AFCI outlet for those like we are required to do here. and it's only quick and easy of course if you go straight up from an existing outlet

blkmagik21

This happens all the time to me.

And when I tell them it may be about 2500 to wire up their tub. Saying that’s more than the tub.

Last edited by a moderator:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It is not unusual for us to charge more for engineering for a small project than the parts cost. Customers decide they want to supply the parts to "save" money, so I tell them go ahead. I don't care who supplies the parts. especially for parts that are being field installed.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Customers decide they want to supply the parts to "save" money, so I tell them go ahead. I don't care who supplies the parts. especially for parts that are being field installed.

If a client says that want to supply the parts, I say "fine, I don't make any money on the parts. But I do make money using my knowledge to design your project so if you need a parts list, or have questions about what to buy I have to charge you an hourly consulting fee."

blkmagik21

I’ve had quite a few customers want to provide parts to “save money” so I take off the amount I pay for the parts. It’s usually a lot less than they can get them for at the Home Depot or Lowe’s. Then they are like “why so little off?” Because I get parts way cheaper than you can get them and don’t make much if any on them. I just take my basic book cost for a job and then minus the parts cost. The next times they use me, they never ask to provide parts again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
And... they’ll keep getting prices until they find someone to do the work for that amount, qualified or not !!!

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yesterday I got a call from a lady who wants a crystal chandelier hung. I figure its heavy, delicate, probably has lot of little crystals to individually hang. Not very heavy and a 12 foot ceiling she says. I quote $250 which she immediately thinks is too much and says she will get other prices.

Today she calls back. Apparently she got other prices and they were more than me so she is more interested in my services now. But, she says, she wants two people to hang it because it's heavy, delicate, and costs a lot of money. "Well", I said,"then I'll have to charge you more." "Why?" "Because both guys want to be paid. Two guys is more expensive than one." She was having a hard time understanding this concept.

growler

I quote $250 which she immediately thinks is too much .But, she says, she wants two people to hang it because it's heavy, delicate, and costs a lot of money. "Well", I said,"then I'll have to charge you more." "Why?" "Because both guys want to be paid. Two guys is more expensive than one." She was having a hard time understanding this concept.

What gets me is that the people that can afford to buy an expensive chandelier are the very people that will complain about the cost of installation.

Actually $250 is cheap to install a real chandelier .

Status
Not open for further replies.