Show notifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
181124-2412 EST

What is a notification?

Very annoying popup without a definition. Erase with X and it continues to popup.

I’ve been getting notifications in the top right of the screen. Used to be only when I got a PM. Now it’s saying something about somebody quoted me or something.

gar

Occupation
EE
181125-0615 EST

Still no clear cut definition of what a notification is or does. This is like so much software that is written today that you do not know where or what will happen if you click something until you click on it. This is a totally stupid design.

I don't want to respond to that popup because I have no idea what the result will be.

If you don't X out the popup every time it occurs, then there is a long delay to your next click on some thread. This popup needs to be removed.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
181125-0615 EST

Still no clear cut definition of what a notification is or does. This is like so much software that is written today that you do not know where or what will happen if you click something until you click on it. This is a totally stupid design.

I don't want to respond to that popup because I have no idea what the result will be.

If you don't X out the popup every time it occurs, then there is a long delay to your next click on some thread. This popup needs to be removed.

It is a reminder that someone quoted you or asked you to read the post they made. You can go to general settings and turn notifications off if you want.

If I quote you as I did, you will probably get another notification usually in an email, however there is another feature where you can type @username ( apparently username is someones name) and that will send the member a message to read the post the poster wrote. @Dennis Alwon I should get a notification of this post-- not sure it works on your own post

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I’m okay with no notifications :thumbsup:

Even the list of notifications that drops down from my Notifications menu item is now gone.
With the Notifications gone, is there anything left of the feature that might be useful?
Are emails still being sent?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Even the list of notifications that drops down from my Notifications menu item is now gone.
With the Notifications gone, is there anything left of the feature that might be useful?
Are emails still being sent?

I'm still getting pop-up/drop down notifications when someone quotes one of my post. Haven't received any emails lately though.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I just got word from Brian that the @username should be functioning. Let me know if it is working. To see quotes click on your name at the welcome area-- top right and there should be a tab with quotes.

If members want notification of quotes then I can see if it is possible to turn it on or off. I definitely don't need emails for it.
@GoldDigger @Little Bill [MENTION=89065]Dennis Alwon[/MENTION]

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I just got word from Brian that the @username should be functioning. Let me know if it is working. To see quotes click on your name at the welcome area-- top right and there should be a tab with quotes.

If members want notification of quotes then I can see if it is possible to turn it on or off. I definitely don't need emails for it.
@GoldDigger @Little Bill [MENTION=89065]Dennis Alwon[/MENTION]
Where there used to be tabs for Mentions, Thread Tags, and Quotes, there is now only Mentions and Thread Tags. I take that to mean that all notifications related to quoting or being quoted by others have been turned off.
I am quite happy with that scenario. The mentions and thread tags may be useful. The jury is still out on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.