Show of hands

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Show of hands

• I have both AFCI breakers and TR receptacles.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have AFCI but not TR.

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • I have TR but not AFCI.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have neither AFCI nor TR.

Votes: 91 79.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bikeindy

hbiss said:
What is the purpose of the NEC? To protect people and property. No question there. Problem is are they getting too "political" and manipulated by manufacturers who are eager to sell a product because they claim it is needed.

It's kind of like the FDA being lobbied to approve a new drug that a drug company made all kind of claims about. Then we come to find out a few years later that it really does nothing.

-Hal

Well stated.

stickboy1375

hbiss said:
What is the purpose of the NEC? To protect people and property. No question there. Problem is are they getting too "political" and manipulated by manufacturers who are eager to sell a product because they claim it is needed.

-Hal

You have to start somewhere so hear me out, what IF in 20 years not one kid is burned or injured from sticking some object into an electrical receptacle... are you telling me this is a bad thing????

ITO

stickboy1375 said:
You have to start somewhere so hear me out, what IF in 20 years not one kid is burned or injured from sticking some object into an electrical receptacle... are you telling me this is a bad thing????

In all honesty I think McDonald's poses a greater health risk to children than the lack of tamper proof receptacles.

Tell me, who is going to save the fat kids?

bikeindy

stickboy1375 said:
What IF I go watch the game and someone close this thread.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
First, a zero effect will never happen. Second, I don't believe the submitted data reflects accurately what is actually happening.

Third, I would have no problem if manufacturers changed the design of every 15 and 20A duplex receptacle they make to TR if they think it will improve safety. This is nickle and dime stuff and after all it is their idea. Once non-TR receptacle stock is replaced on the supply house shelves everybody will be using them. I don't see why the NEC is even involved, sounds to me like this should be a UL change if anything.

-Hal

stickboy1375

ITO said:
In all honesty I think McDonald's poses a greater health risk to children than the lack of tamper proof receptacles.

Tell me, who is going to save the fat kids?

Who cares? Why does eveyone against TR decide to throw some remark un-electrically related? How does it even fit into the equation?

ITO

stickboy1375 said:
Who cares? Why does eveyone against TR decide to throw some remark un-electrically related? How does it even fit into the equation?

It was sarcasm... I think I need to change my sig now.

peter d

hbiss said:
Problem is are they getting too "political" and manipulated by manufacturers who are eager to sell a product because they claim it is needed.

That horse left the gate a long time ago. Manufacturers have held influence over the code making process for decades. Why are a few rules about receptacles and arc detecting circuit breakers causing such an uproar all of a sudden?

Oh, I know, it's all about gov't intrusion. :roll: I'm "right wing" politically and just as against big government as many of you are, but I guess I'll be a raging liberal on these rules.

ITO

I think the fact that it is such a blatant insider deal, that it gets people?s ire up. Sure industry insiders have been manipulating the process for many years now, but when they do so in such neat little packages, it tends to spotlight the problem.

Sort of like we all know politicians steal and even live with it to some extent, but when they steal the silverware out of the Whitehouse it kind of makes your blood boil.

I checked, my dad says my memory is correct. I was one of those kids. I shocked myself on many occasions as a toddler.

You've convinced me. First to the Kids in Ellensburg this weekend for the 1 and 3 year grand kids, then the rest of the family that agree.

LawnGuyLandSparky

ITO said:
I think the fact that it is such a blatant insider deal, that it gets people?s ire up. Sure industry insiders have been manipulating the process for many years now, but when they do so in such neat little packages, it tends to spotlight the problem.

Sort of like we all know politicians steal and even live with it to some extent, but when they steal the silverware out of the Whitehouse it kind of makes your blood boil.

Stealing silverware and leaving the country with a budget surplus. Now we're at 5 trillion debt. But as long as the silverware remains behind, some people think that's just jake. :grin:

AFCI to computer

AFCI to computer

Since I was doing a major upgrade, I was buying CBs and TRs for the kid's bedroom anyway. So I put AFCI in the breaker box. Then I found out the breaker serves my wife's computer, and the computer stopped working one day. The AFCI had tripped! AFCI is one more failure mode for computers.

electricmanscott

goofy256256 said:
Since I was doing a major upgrade, I was buying CBs and TRs for the kid's bedroom anyway. So I put AFCI in the breaker box. Then I found out the breaker serves my wife's computer, and the computer stopped working one day. The AFCI had tripped! AFCI is one more failure mode for computers.

Did you find the reason for the breaker tipping? I would be more concerned with why than the fact that it did trip.

Jim_BE

My house was built in 1962 no gfic's, mostly 14/2 fiber covered romex. I have been slowly re wiring the house as time and money allow as I remodel each room... my kids are grown and no grandchildren running around yet but I have been putting in the arc faults as I go. They have been a "p i t a" in a way since I have a bride that likes to yank out a vacuum cleaner cord with the machine still running... what do I do now ? get a housekeeper, get rid of the bride, put in a central vac ... what :-? :-? :-? :-? any suggestions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.