shower sconce gfi not required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
i always protect any light in and around the tub/shower under the gfi

came in for a service call and there is a multiwire feed to the shower, no way to gfi with a combo device
would have to use a gfi cb but even then, the panel is overstuffed with tandems and it would need a 2p.

so now i am researching on the forum and apparently lights not required to have gfi protection
only exhaust fan
and only because of 110 or whatever manufacturer specs

so gfi not required on shower sconce?
thanx
:angel:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That's correct. I heard there are a few recessed cans that require GFCI by manufacturer instructions over a shower but I have never seen one in person. I have never installed a gfci over a shower and amazingly none of my customer have died from it----YET. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There are specific NEC requirments for fixtures within a shower zone but GFCI protection is not one of them.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
That's correct. I heard there are a few recessed cans that require GFCI by manufacturer instructions over a shower but I have never seen one in person. I have never installed a gfci over a shower and amazingly none of my customer have died from it----YET. :D
=)

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I see that in an RV it would have to be ground fault protected (551.53(B)).

In mobile or manufactured home would be "enclosed and gasketed type listed for wet locations" but no mention of GFCI (550.14(D)).

In house would be 8' above bathtub rim or shower threshold, marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray (410.10(D)) but no mention of GFCI.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The only "shower" fixtures I have observed in the field that required GFCI have been light/fan combos where the mfg instructions called for GFCI protection.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Yes it's a shower and these are
Wall fixtures for the
outside of the house
Mounted at 5 foot six
above the marble shower floor.
Does that still fit the provision for 8'?

In house would be 8' above bathtub rim or shower threshold, marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray (410.10(D)) but no mention of GFCI.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

post a sketch please. it sounds like the shower is on the outside of the house ? ( i've seen this, don't laugh) if that is the case, and the sconces are mounted at 5'-6", i'd be gfci'in those puppies. i don't like toast in the shower! oh, wait, sconces that are made to be mounted on the exterior of a house, but will be mounted in a shower enclosure (?) at 5'-6" above the shower floor ? it sounds to me like they are in the "restricted zone" per 410.10 (D) of the nec, and that would be huge not approved location.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
post a sketch please. it sounds like the shower is on the outside of the house ? ( i've seen this, don't laugh) if that is the case, and the sconces are mounted at 5'-6", i'd be gfci'in those puppies. i don't like toast in the shower! oh, wait, sconces that are made to be mounted on the exterior of a house, but will be mounted in a shower enclosure (?) at 5'-6" above the shower floor ? it sounds to me like they are in the "restricted zone" per 410.10 (D) of the nec, and that would be huge not approved location.

All it says is that they would have to be marked for damp or wet locations.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yes it's a shower and these are
Wall fixtures for the
outside of the house
Mounted at 5 foot six
above the marble shower floor.
Does that still fit the provision for 8'?

I answered you the first time you posted - my response is post 7

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65660328@N06/6803506327/
Does that go?

Dennis the other poster called out a code section that are required delightfully
8 feet above the shower threshold
that's why I reasked
because I was looking for consensus

The section called out in 410 is for pendant lights. Look at the last sentence in 410.10(D). Your install is fine if they are wet location fixtures and subject to shower spray. If they are not subject to spray then they only need damp location. Nowhere in 410 is gfci required.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
The section called out in 410 is for pendant lights. Look at the last sentence in 410.10(D). Your install is fine if they are wet location fixtures and subject to shower spray. If they are not subject to spray then they only need damp location. Nowhere in 410 is gfci required.
Thanks Dennis for pointing out 8' is for pendants etc, for some reason I remember knowing that and forgot.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks Dennis for pointing out 8' is for pendants etc, for some reason I remember knowing that and forgot.
UR welcome but it is for more than just pendants-- paddle fans tracks etc. Many ec's don't realize that tracks are not damp location rated.

haskindm

No, but it would need to be suitable for either a damp or wet location dependuing on the AHJ's interpretation of "subject to shower spray".

stickboy1375

i always protect any light in and around the tub/shower under the gfi

You know what I find funny with this logic, the same people never GFI protect a outside fixture, post light, etc... I don't understand how people think GFI protection is required especially since fixtures require EGC's...

Status
Not open for further replies.