"SHY" What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acr

The 1999 NEC swimming pool section states:
"If pump motor >5ft & < 10ft. from pool wall and SHY;single-twist lock receptacle & GFCI protection req'd.

What does "SHY" mean?

hurk27

Re: "SHY" What is it?

I think this is the section he's refering to

680-6. Receptacles, Lighting Fixtures, Lighting Outlets, Switching Devices, and Ceiling-Suspended (Paddle) Fans
(a) Receptacles.
1. A receptacle(s) that provides power for a water-pump motor(s) for, or other loads directly related to the circulation and sanitation system, a permanently installed pool or fountain, as permitted in Section 680-7, shall be permitted between 5 ft and 10 ft (1.52 m and 3.05 m) from the inside walls of the pool or fountain, and, where so located, shall be single and of the locking and grounding types and shall be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter(s).
Other receptacles on the property shall be located at least 10 ft (3.05 m) from the inside walls of a pool or fountain.

But I don't have a clue as to what SHY stands for as it is not in the "99" code book any where.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: "SHY" What is it?

I have the CDROM version of the 2002 NEC. The only occurrence of the word ?shy? is in the list of code committee members (it?s a person?s last name). I don?t know about 1999.

Status
Not open for further replies.