Side Cutters, Chain Saw Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
If it is because of rust, I was shocked when an old timer showed me that the fastest way to free up a set of pliers is to use what locked them up in the first place, water, but then put light oil on them to keep them free., of course this doesn't work after you used them as a hammer.

I remember 1 pair that worked well. I hammered with them, as always. One day I was hammering & they locked up. Never could get them working again. They went to file x. I didn't have a chainsaw in those days & didn't know about bar chain oil. It may have worked or may not.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I've always noticed that some pairs are tighter than others, right off the shelf. I've had my best luck with the standard Klein, D213 I think. I tried the high leverage, they didn't fit my hand well. Price is sure up there now, about $25 around here. My 1st pair was $11 I think, back in 1976. Klein was then known as M. Klein & Sons.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Go to a auto parts store and get the small tube of valve grinding/lapping compound. Apply that, work the pliers, flush with WD-40 and repeat if needed. Watch this oily mess that drips as it can permanently stain new sneakers, I know!:mad:
I tried it and it worked, compound was less than $5 for the whole tube and it only took a little, thanks for the "Idea That Worked."

muskrat

If it's supposed to move & it doesn't, use WD-40. If it's not supposed to move & it does, use duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer, call an electrician. No, seriously, hate WD. Stuff gets sticky when it dries or gets cold. Try Rem-oil or any product recomended for firearms as hunters use their tools in pretty extreme conditions and they need to work always.

Status
Not open for further replies.