Side jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

benaround

So, if you are an Electrician during the day and you need a few more dollars

to make ends meet, the only logical thing to do is sell cars !!

Heaven must be full of sparkys.

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
I have been an electrician for 15 years, and had my license for about 5. I have been out on my own for 1year two months. I used to hang fans and cut in cans to the tune of about 5k a year on the side, all with my employers blessing. (he hated resi. gave it to me) I got my contractors license in 04, and my sidework bumped up to about 40k before I went out on my own. I did have liability insurance and commercial truck insurance the whole time, and I claimed it all on taxes. ( my wife said she would not go to jail for me, implying I would get in trouble with the tax man.) Plus I had a large client base with alot of referrals. I do no advertising and am very busy. I am very lucky for that.

Brady Electric

Side Jobs

Side Jobs

I understand what you are saying Satcom but it look like to me that Pullnwire and Infinity are doing it the right way.
I also believe that Stellersman would somehow take care of any customers he has on the side if needed.
Like I said when I started all my side work was with my bosses blessings and they would back me up
I always believe in doing nothing behind your bosses back
I only did work that they didn't want to do and never tried to take there business
There's a right way and a wrong way in this world to do things and I believe to always treat everyone the way you want to be treated
As a boss I have always in the past supported my help if they wanted to do side work but I always checked up on them to make sure they did it right
Although not I just have one man and he works all he wants to, after all we are not as young as we once were
Sometimes side work is really someone doing work that you don't have time to do, so you let your help do the job and make more money than you would have paid them
It can also be a learning tool which is better than going to school but you have to be willing to get involved
Everyone that I worked for in the past did this for me and I return the favor
Having said all that Most so called side jobs are behind bosses back and they even still parts along with cheaper prices which I DO NOT AGREE WITH AND WOULD NOT PERMIT
In life there are those that take advantage of a good thing but we cannot condemn everyone for those few
I wouldn't be the electrician if I hadn't had good bosses who would work with me so I return the favor by helping others
Some could argue the point that if you help others to do side-jobs they really aren't side-jobs
Semper Fi Buddy

ceknight

satcom said:
........the way i look at it is a customer could be in trouble, and your full time work, will not allow you to respond to address their problem, when you working the business full time you don't have these problems.

Yeah, right. And that's on which planet? :)

When you're working the business full time, you simply have more of those problems...

Definately did side work. The first company I worked for made no secret of the fact that side work was how they started their business too. The reality of running, scheduling, completing jobs, cashflow etc when you are the only one in the loop is a hard thing to learn and even harder to teach. I couldn't imagine working for someone else on a Friday and then decide over the weekend that Monday morning I'm starting my own EC having to take on those extra tasks w/o having taken the baby steps first.

The primary rule that I abided by was you don't (mess) where you eat. I never once took a customer from an employer although the opportuntity presented itself plenty of times. I did things that aggravate some forum members but it A) helped pay my bills, B)gave a real perspective on what it takes to run a company and not just be a foreman/ leadman and C)helped me make the transition from employee to employer. Without side work or a family business I don't know how else I would have gained this knowledge.

steelersman

satcom said:
Your doing it as a part time activity, and it can be difficult for you to schedule or respond to emergency calls, since your full time job requires your full attention, the way i look at it is a customer could be in trouble, and your full time work, will not allow you to respond to address their problem, when you working the business full time you don't have these problems.
There aren't any true emergency calls for the type of work I do (mostly residential). Or at least none that can't wait until 2:00 in the afternoon when I get done with full time job. Also I can leave work anytime I want. I don't have to get my 40 in order to stay employed. If I need a day off or come in late I have that freedom (Thank God).

76nemo

Side work

Side work

I am presently in NY. I don't do construction. I do service/maintenance calls. You all can complain we in NY don't need a license. I understand your gripe about work, insurance and licensing. Alot of you guys/gals bash non-licensed maintenance personnel. You bash the fact with good reason, I understand.

If I hold my own insurance, than I see no reason to bash me/us as you have continually seem to do. I hear alot of you guys/gals say they wouldn't employ a maintenance guy/person. You guys/gals run it, I just go in to check for problematics. I don't see why you are so harsh on the rest of us who come in and find problems, that's what we are hired for:cool:

I have a job to do, just the same as the rest of you all. I collect a paycheck just the same as you:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.