Siemens Breakers in Eaton Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
need some guidance here.
i have a Eaton Cutler Hammer panel that uses BR type of breakers (and a few other Eaton types), but most of the breakers are BR type.
my local electric supply is a Siemens shop, they say the Q250 and QF120 will fit my panel.
Siemens says "they might work, we dont have x-reference, but using our breaker in your Eaton panel will void our warranty".

1) do the Siemens Q breakers fit ok into the Eaton panel that uses BR type?
2) does NEC have an issue with mixed vendor breakers?

this is homeowner work and will be inspected, etc.

templdl

Look at the loadcenter nameplate. Simply look at what breakers are allowed (listed) to be installed in that load center. To install another manufactures would be in violation of the load center UL listing unless the breaker has been "UL classified" by the breaker manufacture for installation in that loadcenter.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Look at the loadcenter nameplate. Simply look at what breakers are allowed (listed) to be installed in that load center. To install another manufactures would be in violation of the load center UL listing unless the breaker has been "UL classified" by the breaker manufacture for installation in that loadcenter.

thank you.

the C.H. panel does not list any Siemens types...... nor does Siemens have any x-reference use doc.

thus, i need to switch over to Eaton breakers.

norcal

The only loadcenter that I remember listing competitive makes of circuit breakers that were allowed was Crouse-Hinds.

toddelec2

UL Letters

UL Letters

Siemens isn't listed for Eaton as far as I know-
I just had a hard time with an inspector wanted documentation that I couldn't find on the forum, so I asked the manufacturers.
Figured I'd post what I have here to help the next guy.

Attachments

• siemenscircuitbreakers ul.pdf
    44 KB · Views: 91
  • siemensafciin ite.pdf
    115.7 KB · Views: 72
  • UL listed C-H breaker used with westinghouse,bryent, challenger panel, load center.pdf
    56.7 KB · Views: 78

kwired

Electron manager
Pretty much all the 1" wide breakers out there fit competitors panels. Pretty much none of the panels have been tested and listed to accept anything but the same manufacturer's breaker.

You can sometimes find some equipment that isn't made by a breaker manufacturer that does list several different brands/types that it was listed with though, like Midwest power products might have all in one meter-main-loadcenter or similar items that mention wide variety of acceptable breakers, basically because they don't make their own breakers.

Then you get the situation where a company and line of equipment was acquired by another - those usually allow new versions in the old equipment even though the names have changed over time.
Eaton's BR line was previously Westinghouse, and before that Bryant, maybe another name or two from the past on that same product line. Current Eaton BR breakers are allowed in all past products of that line.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Check this compatability list by Eaton. You'll have to print it out and get a magnifying glass. Could they make it any smaller :rant::rant::rant: ???
Open it in a pdf reader; you can zoom in and count the individual hairs on the gnat's eyebrows. With most readers, you can mark a selection and print it to put in the panel.

I note 3 things ... this chart is dated 2004. No series rating is allowed. No 120/208 panels.

kwired

Electron manager
Check this compatability list by Eaton. You'll have to print it out and get a magnifying glass. Could they make it any smaller :rant::rant::rant: ???

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@electrical/documents/content/il00304001y.pdf
I don't think the charts on that page have anything to do with installing one manufacturer's breaker into another manufacturer's panelboard.

Appears to be some sort of compatability list for loadcenters supplied by an Eaton meter center. Which I don't believe really matters anyway if you are under 10kA available fault current at the load end of feeder(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.